Existence of Equilibria and Core Convergence in Economies with Bads
We consider an exchange economy in which there are infinitely many consumers and some commodities are bads, that is, cause disutility to consumers. We give an example of such an economy for which there is no competitive equilibrium or its variants (quasi- or psuedo-equilibrium). We also give examples of the failure of the so called uniform integrability condition of equilibrium allocations of increasingly populous property.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polemarchakis, H. M. & Siconolfi, P., 1993. "Competitive equilibria without free disposal or nonsatiation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 85-99.
- Anderson, Robert M, 1978. "An Elementary Core Equivalence Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1483-87, November.
- Robert M. Anderson, 1981. "Core Theory with Strongly Convex Preferences," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 578, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- McKenzie, Lionel W, 1981.
"The Classical Theorem on Existence of Competitive Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 819-41, June.
- L. W. McKenzie, 2010. "The Classical Theorem on Existence of Competitive Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1388, David K. Levine.
- Schmeidler, David, 1969. "Competitive Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders and Incomplete Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 578-85, October.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1970. "Existence of Equilibria for Economies with Production and a Measure Space of Consumers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(5), pages 608-23, September.
- Cornet, Bernard & Topuzu, Mihaela & Yildiz, Aysegul, 2003. "Equilibrium theory with a measure space of possibly satiated consumers," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 175-196, June.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1976. "How to discard `free disposability' - at no cost," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 131-134, July.
- Manelli, Alejandro M, 1991.
"Monotonic Preferences and Core Equivalence,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 123-38, January.
- Manelli, Alejandro M., 1991. "Core convergence without monotone preferences and free disposal," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 400-415, December.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1969. "On the Core of an Economic System with Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 678-84, Part I Se.
- Grodal, Birgit & Trockel, Walter & Weber, Shlomo, 1984. "On approximate cores of non-convex economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 197-202.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Kuhn, Harold W., 1975. "A proof of the existence of equilibrium without the free disposal assumption," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 335-343, December.
- Anderson, Robert M, 1981. "Core Theory with Strongly Convex Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1457-68, November.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1992. "The core in perfectly competitive economies," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 413-457 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.