The effects of non-assertion of patents provisions: R&D incentives in vertical relationships
Using a simple downstream duopoly model with vertical relations and downstream R&D, we investigate the effect of non-assertion of patents (NAP) provisions. A monopoly upstream firm decides whether to employ NAP provisions. If it does so, it freely incorporates the R&D outcomes into its inputs. Incorporation improves the efficiency of the downstream firms' production. We have interpreted the introduction of NAP provisions as a source of technology spillover. Using the technologies of two downstream firms is optimal for the upstream firm if and only if the degree of technology spillover is small. In addition, if the ex ante cost difference between the downstream firms is significant, such technology spillovers erode both the profit of the efficient downstream firm and social welfare. We interpret our result in the context of an actual antitrust case related to this model.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Versaevel Bruno & Vencatachellum Désiré, 2009.
"R&D Delegation in a Duopoly with Spillovers,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-42, December.
- Bruno Versaevel & Désiré Vencatachellum, 2006. "R&D Delegation in a Duopoly with Spillovers," Working Papers 0610, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Désiré Vencatachellum & Bruno Versaevel, 2005. "R&D Delegation in a Duopoly with Spillovers," Cahiers de recherche 05-01, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Désiré Vencatachellum & Bruno Versaevel, 2006. "R&D Delegation in a Duopoly with Spillovers," Post-Print halshs-00142520, HAL.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, . "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 1999. "A Note on Endogenous Spillovers in a Non-Tournament R & D Duopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 253-262, November.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou, 2006.
"Endogenous Protection Of R&D Investments,"
Economics Working Papers
we066325, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- María José Gil Moltó & Nikolaos Georgantzís & Vicente Orts, 2005.
"Cooperative R&D with Endogenous Technology Differentiation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 461-476, 06.
- María José Gil Moltó & Nikolaos Georgantzís & Vicente Orts, 2004. "Cooperative R&D with Endogenous Technology Differentiation," Industrial Organization 0401009, EconWPA.
- Kotaro Suzumura, 1990. "Cooperative and Non-cooperative R&D in Oligopoly with Spillovers," Discussion Paper Series a218, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Milliou, Chrysovalantou, 2004. "Vertical integration and R&D information flow: is there a need for 'firewalls'?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 25-43, January.
- Piga, Claudio & Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 2005.
"Endogenous R&D spillovers and locational choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 127-139, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0807. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.