Transboundary Pollution and Absorptive Capacity
The impact of the investment in absorptive capacity on transboundary pollution is studied by considering two countries each of them regulating a firm. Firms can invest in original research and in absorptive research to lower their pollution intensity. The absorptive research enables a firm to capture part of the original research made by the other one. We show that by means of adequate emission taxes, original and absorptive R&D subsidies, non-cooperating regulators can reach the social optimum. Interestingly, we show that the investment in absorptive research enables non-cooperating regulators to better internalize transboundary pollution. The higher is the ability parameter of absorption, the greater is the proportion of transboundary pollution internalized. Therefore, it is recommended for the international community to make the patent laws more flexible and enabling learning from the research made by others more interesting.
|Date of creation:||05 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mansouri, Faysal & Ben Youssef, Slim, 2000. " Regulation and Coordination of International Environmental Externalities with Incomplete Information and Costly Public Funds," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(3), pages 365-88.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Zang, Israel, 2000. "Meet me halfway: research joint ventures and absorptive capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 995-1012, October.
- Bjorvatn, K. & Schjelderup, G., 2000.
"Tax Competition and International Public Goods,"
15/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, .
"Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- Zagonari, Fabio, 1998. "International Pollution Problems: Unilateral Initiatives by Environmental Groups in One Country," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 46-69, July.
- Yasuhiro Takarada, 2005. "Transboundary Pollution and the Welfare Effects of Technology Transfer," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 85(3), pages 251-275, 09.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou, 2009.
"Endogenous protection of R&D investments,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(1), pages 184-205, February.
- Ben Youssef, Slim & Zaccour, Georges, 2014.
"Absorptive Capacity, R&D Spillovers, Emissions Taxes and R&D Subsidies,"
Strategic Behavior and the Environment,
now publishers, vol. 4(1), pages 41-58, April.
- Ben Youssef, Slim & Zaccour, Georges, 2009. "Absorptive Capacity, R&D Spillovers, Emissions Taxes and R&D Subsidies," MPRA Paper 16984, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2009.
- Slim Ben Youssef, 2009.
"Transboundary pollution, R&D spillovers and international trade,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 235-250, March.
- Slim Ben Youssef, 2003. "Transboundary Pollution, R&D Spillovers and International Trade," Working Papers 2003.39, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 1999. "A Note on Endogenous Spillovers in a Non-Tournament R & D Duopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 253-262, November.
- Hoel, Michael, 1997.
"Coordination of environmental policy for transboundary environmental problems?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 199-224, November.
- Hoel, M., 1996. "Coordination of Environmental Policy for Transboundary Environmental Problems," Memorandum 03/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Anna Hammerschmidt, 2006. "A strategic investment game with endogenous absorptive capacity," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp092, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.