Transboundary Pollution and Welfare Effects of Technology Transfer
The purpose of this paper is to examine the welfare effects of pollution abatement technology transfer in a two-good two-country model with transboundary pollution. In each country, one industry emits pollution as a joint product of output and the sum of domestic and cross-border pollution decreases productivity of the other industry. Then, we show that technology transfer can bene?t the recipient country regardless of the level of cross-border pollution. Moreover, the donor country gains from technology transfer if all pollution is transboundary but it may harm the donor country with out cross-border pollution. We demonstrate that the effects of technology transfer depend on the trade pattern as well as cross-border pollution. Keywords: Environment; Pollution; Technology transfer; Pareto-improving transfer JEL classi?cation: D62; F18; O39
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Copeland, Brian R. & Taylor, M. Scott, 1999.
"Trade, spatial separation, and the environment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 137-168, February.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 1995. "Trade, Spatial Separation, and the Environment," NBER Working Papers 5242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Stranlund, 1996. "On the strategic potential of technological aid in international environmental relations," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Kai Konrad, 1994. "Global environmental problems and the strategic choice of technology," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 60(3), pages 299-321, October.
- Konrad, Kai A., 1992. "Global environmental problems and the strategic choice of technology," EconStor Research Reports 112696, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Takumi Naito, 2003. "Pareto-improving Untied Aid with Environmental Externalities," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 161-169, October.
- Unteroberdoerster, Olaf, 2001. "Trade and Transboundary Pollution: Spatial Separation Reconsidered," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 269-285, May.
- Benarroch, Michael & Thille, Henry, 2001. "Transboundary pollution and the gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 139-159, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.