Capital Income Taxation and Specialization Patterns: Investment Tax vs. Saving Tax
Unless free international lending/borrowing is allowed, domestic saving equals domestic investment and hence saving and investment taxes have the identical effect, as is the case in a closed-economy context. However, if it is allowed, households can accumulate foreign assets besides domestic capital and hence saving and investment are separated, causing the two taxes to have different effects. Using a two-sector growth model, we show that the two taxes generate completely different effects on industrial structure. The investment tax always shrinks the capital-intensive sector whereas the saving tax may well expand it.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047|
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iwamoto, Yasushi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1991. "Capital income taxation and the current account in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 480-496, December.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201119.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1992. "Residence- and source-based taxation of capital income in an overlapping generations model," Other publications TiSEM 12d54ff8-8cd9-4648-9753-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991.
"International Taxation in an Integrated World,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149.
- Marianne Baxter, 1991.
"Fiscal policy, specialization, and trade in the two-sector model: the return of Ricardo?,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
56, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Baxter, Marianne, 1992. "Fiscal Policy, Specialization, and Trade in the Two-Sector Model: The Return of Ricardo?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 713-744, August.
- Masao Ogaki & Andrew Atkeson, 1997. "Rate Of Time Preference, Intertemporal Elasticity Of Substitution, And Level Of Wealth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 564-572, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1970. "Factor Price Equalization in a Dynamic Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(3), pages 456-488, May-June.
- Mountford, A., 1996.
"Trade dynamics and endogenous growth: an overlapping generations analysis,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9621, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Mountford, Andrew, 1999. "Trade Dynamics and Endogenous Growth: An Overlapping-Generations Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 209-24, May.
- Fischer, Stanley & Frenkel, Jacob A., 1972. "Investment, the two-sector model and trade in debt and capital goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 211-233, August.
- Francesc Obiols-Homs & Carlos Urrutia, 2005.
"Transitional dynamics and the distribution of assets,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(2), pages 381-400, 02.
- Francesc Obiols-Homs & Carlos Urrutia, 2004. "Transitional Dynamics and the Distribution of Assets," Macroeconomics 0407020, EconWPA.
- Brecher, Richard A & Chen, Zhiqi & Choudhri, Ehsan U, 2002.
"Absolute and Comparative Advantage, Reconsidered: The Pattern of International Trade with Optimal Saving,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 645-656, November.
- Richard A. Brecher & Zhiqi Chen & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2000. "Absolute and Comparative Advantage, Reconsidered: The Pattern of International Trade with Optimal Saving," Carleton Economic Papers 00-02, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2002.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1988. "Terms-of-Trade, Factor Intensities and the Current Account in a Life-Cycle Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(2), pages 247-262.
- Koichi Futagami & Akihiko Kaneko & Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2008. "International Asset Trade, Capital Income Taxation, and Specialization Patterns," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(5), pages 743-763, October.
- Obstfeld,Maurice & Taylor,Alan M., 2004.
"Global Capital Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521633178, October.
- Easterly, William, 1991.
"Economic stagnation, fixed factors, and policy thresholds,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
795, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William, 1994. "Economic stagnation, fixed factors, and policy thresholds," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 525-557, June.
- Atkeson, A. & Ogaki, M., 1991.
"Wealth-Varying Intertemporal Elasticities of Substitution Evidence from Panel and Aggregate Data,"
RCER Working Papers
303, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Atkeson, Andrew & Ogaki, Masao, 1996. "Wealth-varying intertemporal elasticities of substitution: Evidence from panel and aggregate data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 507-534, December.
- Qiang Zhang & Masao Ogaki, 2004. "Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion, Risk Sharing, and the Permanent Income Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 421-430, October.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:3:y:1999:i:4:p:482-505 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yasushi Iwamoto & Akihisa Shibata, 1999. "Foreign Tax Credit and the Current Account," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 6(2), pages 131-148, May.
- Zhiqi Chen, 1992. "Long-Run Equilibria in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(4), pages 923-943, November.
- Robert A. Becker, 1980. "On the Long-Run Steady State in a Simple Dynamic Model of Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Households," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 95(2), pages 375-382.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 1995. "Fiscal policy in a simple two-country dynamic model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 395-419.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- H. Oniki & H. Uzawa, 1965. "Patterns of Trade and Investment in a Dynamic Model of International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 15-37.
- Masao Ogaki & Qiang Zhang, 1998.
"Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing,"
98-02, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Ogaki, Masao & Zhang, Qiang, 2001. "Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 515-526, March.
- Masao Ogaki & Qiang Zhang, 2000. "Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1588, Econometric Society.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"Tax Policy and International Competitiveness,"
in: International Aspects of Fiscal Policies, pages 349-386
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1990. "International capital mobility and capital-income taxation : Theory and policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 480-488, May.
- Peter Birch Sørensen, 1990. "On the Welfare Gains From International Fiscal Coordination," Discussion Papers 90-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Lejour, Arjan M. & Verbon, Harrie A. A., 1998. "Source-based versus residence-based capital income taxes in a dynamic model," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 529-541, August.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2005. "Fiscal Spending, Relative-Price Dynamics, and Welfare in a World Economy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 216-236, 05.
- Manning, R, 1981. "Specialization and Dynamics in a Trade Model," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 57(158), pages 251-60, September.
- Chatterjee, Satyajit & Ravikumar, B., 1999.
"Minimum Consumption Requirements: Theoretical And Quantitative Implications For Growth And Distribution,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(04), pages 482-505, December.
- Chatterjee, S. & Ravikumar, B., 1997. "Minimum Consumption Requirements: Theoretical and Quantitative Implications for Growth and Distribution," Working Papers 97-15, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Satyajit Chatterjee & B. Ravikumar & B. Ravikumar, 1997. "Minimum consumptions requirements: theoretical and quantitative implications for growth and distribution," Working Papers 97-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ikeda, Shinsuke & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1992. "Macroeconomic Dynamics in a Multi-country Economy: A Dynamic Optimization Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 629-44, August.
- Ihori, Toshihiro, 1991. "Capital Income Taxation in a World Economy: A Territorial System versus a Residence System," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 958-65, July.
- Steger, Thomas M., 2000. "Economic growth with subsistence consumption," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 343-361, August.
- A. Lans Bovenberg, 1992. "Residence-and source-based taxation of capital income in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 267-295, October.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2006. "Long-run Specialization," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 1-15, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.