Transport Cost Sharing and Spatial Competition
We consider a linear city model where both firms and consumers have to incur transport costs. Following a standard Hotelling (1929) type framework we analyze a duopoly where firms facing a continuum of consumers choose locations and prices, with the transportation rate being linear in distance. From a theoretical point of view such a model is interesting since mill pricing and uniform delivery pricing arise as special cases. Given the complex nature of the profit function for the two-stage transport cost sharing game, we invoke simplifying assumptions and solve for two different games. We provide a complete characterization for the equilibrium of the location game between the duopolists by removing the price choice from the strategy space. We then find that if the two firms are constrained to locate at the same spot, the resulting price competition leads to a mixed strategy equilibrium with discriminatory rationing. In equilibrium both firms always have positive expected profits. Finally, we derive a pure strategy equilibrium for the two-stage game. Results are then compared with the mill pricing and uniform delivery pricing models.
|Length:||I, 27 p.|
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Horizontal and vertical differentiation: The Launhardt model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 485-506, June.
- Dos Santos Ferreira, R. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Horizontal and vertical differentiation: The Launhardt model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1216, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de PALMA, André & PEDRO SANTOS, Jose & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Spatial competition under uniform delivered pricing,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-755, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- De Palma, Andre & Pedro Pontes, Jose & Thisse, Jacques-Franco, 1987. "Spatial competition under uniform delivered pricing," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 441-449, August.
- Greenhut, John G & Greenhut, M L, 1975. "Spatial Price Discrimination, Competition and Locational Effects," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 401-19, November.
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1989.
"Spatial Price Policies Reconsidered,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 1-18, September.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Allen, Beth & Hellwig, Martin, 1986. "Price-Setting Firms and the Oligopolistic Foundations of Perfect Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 387-92, May.
- Norman, George, 1983. "Spatial Pricing with Differentiated Products," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 291-310, May.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, June.
- Kats, Amoz, 1995. "More on Hotelling's stability in competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 89-93, March.
- Graitson, Dominique, 1982. "Spatial Competition a la Hotelling: A Selective Survey," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 13-25, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.