Entry and Vertical Differentiation
This paper analyzes the entry of new products into vertically differentiated markets where an entrant and an incumbent compete in quantities. The value of the new product is initially uncertain and new information is generated through purchases in the market. We derive the (unique) Markov perfect equilibrium of the infinite horizon game under the strong long run average payoff criterion. The qualitative features of the optimal entry strategy are shown to depend exclusively on the relative ranking of established and new products based on current beliefs. Superior products are launched relatively slowly and at high initial prices whereas substitutes for existing products are launched aggressively at low initial prices. The robustness of these results with respect to different model specifications is discussed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amparo Urbano Salvador & Larry Samuelson & Leonard J. Mirman, 1990.
Working Papers. Serie AD
1990-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Entry (and exit) in a differentiated industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-400, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1999.
"Market experimentation in a dynamic differentiated-goods duopoly,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19346, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1998. "Market Experimentation in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly," Game Theory and Information 9810001, EconWPA, revised 20 Aug 1999.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1999. "Market Experimentation in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 369, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kyle Bagwell & Michael Riordan, 1988.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
808, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Aghion, P. & Bolton, P. & Harris, C. & Jullien, B., 1990.
"Optimal Learning By Experimentation,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-10, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Andrew Ching, 2000. "Dynamic Equilibrium in the US Prescription Drug Market After Patent Expiration," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1242, Econometric Society.
- Harrington Jr. , Joseph E., 1995. "Experimentation and Learning in a Differentiated-Products Duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 275-288, June.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "A two-armed bandit theory of market pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 185-202, October.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- McFadden, Daniel L & Train, Kenneth E, 1996. "Consumers' Evaluation of New Products: Learning from Self and Others," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 683-703, August.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1993. "The Ignorant Monopolist: Optimal Learning with Endogenous Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 565-81, August.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
- Aghion, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz & Jullien, Bruno, 1993.
"Dynamic Duopoly with Learning through Market Experimentation,"
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 517-39, July.
- Aghion, P. & Espinoza, M.P. & Jullien, B., 1990. "Dynamic Duopoly With Learning Through Market Experimentation," DELTA Working Papers 90-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jullien Bruno & Aghion Philippe & Paz Espinoza M, 1990. "Dynamic duopoly with learning through market experimentation," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9012, CEPREMAP.
- Prescott, Edward C, 1972. "The Multi-Period Control Problem Under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(6), pages 1043-58, November.
- Aghion, Philippe, et al, 1991. "Optimal Learning by Experimentation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 621-54, July.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 1996.
"Market Diffusion with Two-Sided Learning,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1138, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dutta, P.K., 1991. "What Do Discounted Optima Converge To? A Theory of Discount Rate Asymptotics in Economic Models," RCER Working Papers 264, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Judd, Kenneth L & Riordan, Michael H, 1994. "Price and Quality in a New Product Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 773-89, October.
- Patrick Bolton & Christopher Harris, 1999. "Strategic Experimentation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(2), pages 349-374, March.
- Easley, David & Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Controlling a Stochastic Process with Unknown Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1045-64, September.
- McLennan, Andrew, 1984. "Price dispersion and incomplete learning in the long run," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 331-347, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.