Self-Confidence and Survival
We consider the impact of history on the survival of a monopolist selling single units in discrete time periods, whose quality is learned slowly. If the seller learns her own quality at the same rate as customers, a sufficiently bad run of luck could induce her to stop selling. When she knows her quality, a good seller never stops selling. Furthermore, a seller with positive, though imperfect, information sells for the same number of periods whether her information is private or public. We further consider the robustness of the central result when the seller's opportunities for strategic behaviour are limited.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farrell, Joseph & Maskin, Eric, 1987.
"Renegotiation in Repeated Games,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt9wv3h5jb, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Douglas Bernheim, B. & Ray, Debraj, 1989. "Collective dynamic consistency in repeated games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 295-326, December.
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, December.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1998.
"Market Experimentation in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly,"
Game Theory and Information
9810001, EconWPA, revised 20 Aug 1999.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1999. "Market experimentation in a dynamic differentiated-goods duopoly," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19346, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1999. "Market Experimentation in a Dynamic Differentiated-Goods Duopoly," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 369, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Godfrey Keller & Sven Rady, 1997.
"Optimal Experimentation in a Changing Environment,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
333, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Aghion, P. & Bolton, P. & Harris, C. & Jullien, B., 1990.
"Optimal Learning By Experimentation,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-10, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Benoit, Jean-Pierre & Krishna, Vijay, 1993.
"Renegotiation in Finitely Repeated Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(2), pages 303-23, March.
- Steven Tadelis, 1999.
"What's in a Name? Reputation as a Tradeable Asset,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 548-563, June.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Valimaki, Juuso, 1996.
"Learning and Strategic Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1125-49, September.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1974. "A two-armed bandit theory of market pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 185-202, October.
- Marco Ottaviani, . "Monopoly Pricing with Social Learning," ELSE working papers 035, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Michael H. Riordan, 1994. "Price and Quality in a New Product Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 773-789.
- Patrick Bolton & Christopher Harris, 1999. "Strategic Experimentation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(2), pages 349-374, March.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Felli, Leonardo & Harris, Christopher, 1996. "Learning, Wage Dynamics, and Firm-Specific Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 838-68, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stitep:428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.