Real Exchange Rates and Skills
While most of the literature on the determination of real exchange rates is focused on the role of standard macroeconomic variables, there exists however a few papers that are more concerned by the impact of factors which are usually considered to play a key role in the process of economic development, like demography or inequality. In the present paper, we extend this small branch of the literature by exploring the relationship between labor skills and real exchange rates over the long-run. Using panel regressions covering 22 countries over the period 1950-2010, we find that labor skills are indeed a structural determinant of real exchange rates, with a permanent increase of the skilled-unskilled labor ratio leading to a long-run appreciation of the real exchange rate. This findings is robust to the inclusion of several control variables, like those used in traditional analyses of real exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||12 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew K. Rose & Saktiandi Supaat, 2007.
"Fertility and the Real Exchange Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
13263, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Yoto V. Yotov, 2012.
"Gold Standard Gravity,"
NBER Working Papers
17835, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ostry, Jonathan D, 1994. "Government Purchases and Relative Prices in a Two-Country World," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(209), pages 149-61, June.
- Chen, Yu-chin & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2003. "Commodity currencies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 133-160, May.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2007. "Beyond Icebergs: Towards a Theory of Biased Globalization," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 237-253.
- repec:chb:bcchwp:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Allan Drazen, 1997. "Uncertain Duration of Reform: Dynamic Implications," NBER Working Papers 5925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodart, V. & Candelon, B. & Carpantier, J.-F., 2012.
"Real exchanges rates in commodity producing countries: A reappraisal,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1482-1502.
- Vincent BODART & Bertrand CANDELON & Jean-François CARPANTIER, 2011. "Real Exchanges Rates in Commodity Producing Countries: A Reappraisal," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- BODART, Vincent & CANDELON, Bertrand & CARPANTIER, Jean - François, 2011. "Real exchanges rates in commodity producing countries : A reappraisal," CORE Discussion Papers 2011006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Sebastian Edwards & Miguel A. Savastano, 1999. "Exchange Rates in Emerging Economies: What Do We Know? What Do We Need to Know?," NBER Working Papers 7228, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. ValdŽs, 1999.
"The Aftermath Of Appreciations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 229-262, February.
- Oded Galor, 2005. "Unified Growth Theory," Development and Comp Systems 0504001, EconWPA.
- Maurin, Eric & Thesmar, David & Thoenig, Mathias, 2002. "Globalization and the demand for skill: An Export Based Channel," CEPR Discussion Papers 3406, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Daniel Cohen & Marcelo Soto, 2007.
"Growth and human capital: good data, good results,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 51-76, March.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2005. "The Real Exchange Rate And The Balassa-Samuelson Effect: The Role Of The Distribution Sector," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 29-48, 02.
- Eric Verhoogen, 2007.
"Trade, quality upgrading and wage inequality in the Mexican manufacturing sector,"
0607-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530, 05.
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1991. "Structural Determinants of Real Exchange Rates and National Price Levels: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 325-34, March.
- Irene Brambilla & Daniel Lederman & Guido Porto, 2012.
"Exports, Export Destinations, and Skills,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(7), pages 3406-38, December.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1984. "Why Are Services Cheaper in the Poor Countries?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 279-86, June.
- Jonathan D. Ostry, 1988. "The Balance of Trade, Terms of Trade, and Real Exchange Rate: An Intertemporal Optimizing Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 541-573, December.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jaewoo Lee, 2010. "Real Exchange Rate, Mercantilism And The Learning By Doing Externality," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 324-335, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2014005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.