Exchange Rate Volatility and the Mixture of Distribution Hypothesis
This paper sheds new light on the mixture of distribution hypothesis by means of a study of the weekly exchange rate volatility of the Norwegian krone. In line with other studies we find that the impact of information arrival on exchange rate volatility is positive and statiscally significant, and that the hypothesis that an increase in the number of traders reduces exchange rate volatility is not supported. The novelties of our study consist in documenting that the positive impact of information arrival on volatillity is relatively stable across three different exchange rate regimes, and in that the impact is relatively similar for both weekly volatility and weekly realised volatility. It is not given that the former should be the case since exchange rate stabilisation was actively pursued by the central bank in parts of the study period; We also report a case in which undesirable residual properties attained within traditional frameworks are easily removed by applying the log-transformation on volatilities.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriele Galati, 2000. "Trading volumes, volatility and spreads in foreign exchange markets: evidence from emerging market countries," BIS Working Papers 93, Bank for International Settlements.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1988. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Models with Time-Varying Covariances," Working papers 505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Seguin, Paul J, 1992. " Futures-Trading Activity and Stock Price Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 2015-34, December.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Qaisar Farooq Akram, 2000.
"When Does the Oil Price Affect the Norwegian Exchange Rate?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
31, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Akram, Q.F., 2000. "When does the Oil Price Affect the Norwegian Exchange Rate?," Economics Series Working Papers 9931, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Melvin, Michael & Yin, Xixi, 2000.
"Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 644-61, July.
- Michael Melvin & Xixi Yin, . "Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency," Working Papers 96/1, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "Futures Price Variability: A Test of Maturity and Volume Effects," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 319-30, April.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, 2003.
"News announcements, market activity and volatility in the Euro/Dollar foreign exchange market,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Ben Omrane, Walid & Giot, Pierre, 2005. "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1108-1125, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, . "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1787, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geir H. Bjønnes & Dagfinn Rime & Haakon O. Aa. Solheim, 2002.
"Volume and Volatility in the FX-Market: Does it matter who you are?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
786, CESifo Group Munich.
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime & Haakon O. Aa. Solheim, 2003. "Volume and Volatility in the FX Market: Does it matter who you are?," Working Paper 2003/7, Norges Bank.
- GIOT, Pierre, 2003. "The Asian financial crisis : the start of a regime switch in volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 2003078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Goodhart, C. A. E. & Figliuoli, L., 1991. "Every minute counts in financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-52, March.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-47, February.
- Gilbert, Christopher L, 1986. "Professor Hendry's Econometric Methodology," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 283-307, August.
- Andersen T. G & Bollerslev T. & Diebold F. X & Labys P., 2001. "The Distribution of Realized Exchange Rate Volatility," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 42-55, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Domowitz, Ian, 1993. " Trading Patterns and Prices in the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1421-43, September.
- Philippe Jorion, 1996. "Risk and Turnover in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Chapters, in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 19-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvec:2005043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.