The sustainability of start-up firms among formerly wage workers
In this paper we analyse the survival of start-up firms among formerly wage workers in Spain. In particular, we address the question of how long do these workers remain self-employed before entering into unemployment or returning to a new paid-employment, using well-known duration model techniques. Results show that a higher survival rate in self-employment is associated to men, prime-age workers and individuals with higher previous labour turnover. Moreover, longer unemployment spells are found to speed up the rate of transition to non-employment and to reduce that to paid employment. Finally, the probability of exiting decreases with duration in self-employment.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 91 624-9630
Fax: +34 91 624-9608
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_economia_empresa
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver & Fritsch, Michael, 2006.
"The effect of industry, region, and time on new business survival - A multi-dimensional analysis,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20195, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Udo Brixy & Oliver Falck, 2006. "The Effect of Industry, Region, and Time on New Business Survival – A Multi-Dimensional Analysis," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 285-306, 05.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004. "The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis," Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Volkswirtschaftliche Reihe V-26-04, University of Passau, Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck & Udo Brixy, 2004. "The Effect of Industry, Region and Time on New Business Survival - A Multi-Dimensional Analysis," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-31, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004. "The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis," Freiberg Working Papers 2004,04, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Howard J. Wall & Yannis Georgellis, 2000.
"What makes a region entrepreneurial? Evidence from Britain,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 385-403.
- Howard J. Wall & Yannis Georgellis, 1999. "What makes a region entrepreneurial? evidence from Britain," Working Papers 1999-009, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Evans, David S, 1994. "Why Does the Self-Employment Rate Vary Across Countries and Over Time?," CEPR Discussion Papers 871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, October.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, October.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008.
"The Labour Market Consequences of Self-employment Spells: European Evidence,"
1129, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Rouvinen, Petri, 2008. "The labour market consequences of self-employment spells: European evidence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 246-271, April.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000.
"Self-employment in OECD countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Williams, Donald R., 2000. "Consequences of self-employment for women and men in the United States," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 665-687, September.
- Carrasco, Raquel, 1999.
" Transitions to and from Self-employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 315-41, August.
- Carrasco, R., 1997. "Transitions to and from Self-Employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis," Papers 9710, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Georgellis, Yannis & Sessions, John & Tsitsianis, Nikolaos, 2007. "Pecuniary and non-pecuniary aspects of self-employment survival," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 94-112, March.
- Donald R. Williams, 2004. "Youth Self Employment: Its Nature and Consequences," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 323-336, November.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Meyer, Bruce D., 1990.
"The impact of the potential duration of unemployment benefits on the duration of unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 45-72, February.
- Lawrence Katz & Bruce Meyer, 1988. "The Impact of the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits on the Duration of Unemployment," Working Papers 621, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Lawrence F. Katz & Bruce D. Meyer, 1988. "The Impact of the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits on the Duration of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce, Donald & Schuetze, Herbert J., 2004. "The labor market consequences of experience in self-employment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 575-598, October.
- C. Mirjam van Praag, 2003. "Business Survival and Success of Young Small Business Owners," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1999. "Survival of the Fittest? An Analysis of Self-Employment Duration in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C140-55, March.
- Lin, Zhengxi & Picot, Garnett & Compton, Janice, 2000. " The Entry and Exit Dynamics of Self-Employment in Canada," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 105-25, September.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wbrepe:wb083108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.