The Macroeconomics of Money Market Freezes
This paper develops a tractable general equilibrium model in which money markets provide structural funding to some banks. When bank default risk becomes significant, retail deposit insurance creates an asymmetry between banks that operate in savings-rich regions, which can remain financed at cheap risk-free rates, and in savings-poor regions, which have to pay either large spreads in money markets or high rates for the scarce regional savings. We show that this asymmetry can cause a severe distortion of the aggregate allocation of credit. When interdependencies across borrowers are large (e.g., via demand externalities), output and welfare losses are also large and can be dramatically reduced by an aggressive subsidization of money market borrowing. The analysis offers some insights on the rationale for responding to a money markets freeze with full-allotment fixed-rate lending policies by central banks or the extension of government guarantees on non-deposit liabilities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meh, Césaire A. & Moran, Kevin, 2010.
"The role of bank capital in the propagation of shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-576, March.
- Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2008. "The Role of Bank Capital in the Propagation of Shocks," Staff Working Papers 08-36, Bank of Canada.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999.
"Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2247, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000. "Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1751, Econometric Society.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000.
"Corporate finance and the monetary transmission mechanism,"
Economics Working Papers
511, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2006. "Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 829-870.
- Bolton, Patrick & Freixas, Xavier, 2001. "Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," CEPR Discussion Papers 2892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2008.
"The Procyclical Effects Of Basel Ii,"
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Bank net worth, asset prices and economic activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-436, October.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009.
"Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk,"
Working Paper Series
1126, European Central Bank.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Van den Heuvel, Skander J., 2008.
"The welfare cost of bank capital requirements,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 298-320, March.
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009.
"The dark side of bank wholesale funding,"
09-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 01 Jun 2010.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2008.
"The Role of Interbank Markets in Monetary Policy: A Model with Rationing,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(6), pages 1151-1176, 09.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2007. "The role of interbank markets in monetary policy: A model with rationing," Economics Working Papers 1027, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, June.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gromb, Denis & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2008.
"Imperfect Competition in the Inter-Bank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6984, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Denis Gromb & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2012. "Imperfect Competition in the Interbank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 184-217, April.
- Romer, David, 1985. "Financial intermediation, reserve requirements, and inside money: A general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 175-194, September.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1987. "Financial Intermediation, Business Failures, and Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1196-1216, December.
- Skander Van den Heuvel, 2006. "The Bank Capital Channel of Monetary Policy," 2006 Meeting Papers 512, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.