Although they would yield social benefits, some political projects may not be implemented in democracies. Prominent examples are the reform of European labour markets, the reduction of government debt or the reduction of greenhouse gases. We suggest introducing political contracts to make liberal democracy more efficient without altering its fundamental values. Furthermore, such contracts can foster the public's trust in politics. We discuss four archetypes of political contracts and ways of implementing them. We outline the certification and control procedures for political contracts and address the major concerns arising with regard to contractual democracy.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tollison, Robert D, 1982. "Rent Seeking: A Survey," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 575-602.
- Gersbach, Hans & Haller, Hans, 2001. "Collective Decisions and Competitive Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(2), pages 347-68, April.
- William D. Nordhaus & Joseph G. Boyer, 1998.
"Requiem for Kyoto: An Economic Analysis of the Kyoto Protocol,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1201, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- William D. Nordhaus & Joseph G. Boyer, 1999. "Requiem for Kyoto: An Economic Analysis of the Kyoto Protocol," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 93-130.
- Nigar Hashimzade & George Davis, 2006. "Human capital and growth under political uncertainty," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(1), pages 1-7.
- Watson, Joel, 2006.
"Contract, Mechanism Design, and Technological Detail,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt2m08n7cg, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Joel Watson, 2007. "Contract, Mechanism Design, and Technological Detail," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 55-81, 01.
- Watson, Joel, 2002. "Contract, Mechanism Design, and Technological Detail," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt18x0r2nn, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Joel Watson, 2002. "Contract, Mechanism Design, and Technological Detail," Theory workshop papers 505798000000000006, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Myles,Gareth D., 1995. "Public Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521497695.
- Gersbach, Hans & Schneider, Maik T., 2012.
"Tax contracts and elections,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 1461-1479.
- Gersbach, Hans & Schneider, Maik, 2012. "Tax Contracts and Elections," CEPR Discussion Papers 9054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans Gersbach & Maik T. Schneider, 2009. "Tax Contracts and Elections," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 09/123, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Hardman Moore, John & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"Incomplete Contracts and Renegotiation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
60, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus Müller, 2007. "Motivation of politicians and long-term policies," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 132(3), pages 273-289, September.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 2002. "The Role of Economics in Climate Change Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 107-129, Spring.
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU,Â Pierre, .
"Political sustainability and the design of social insurance,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1449, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Casamatta, Georges & Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Political sustainability and the design of social insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 341-364, March.
- John Ferejohn, 1986. "Incumbent performance and electoral control," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 5-25, January.
- Gersbach, Hans & Liessem, Verena, 2003.
"Incentive Contracts and Elections for Politicians with Multi-Task Problems,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gersbach, Hans & Liessem, Verena, 2008. "Incentive contracts and elections for politicians with multi-task problems," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 401-411, November.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2006. "After Kyoto: Alternative Mechanisms to Control Global Warming," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 31-34, May.
- Tabellini, Guido, 2000.
" A Positive Theory of Social Security,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 523-45, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2006:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andreas Wagener, 2002. "Intergenerational Transfer Schemes as Incomplete Social Contracts," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 337-359, December.
- Bryan Caplan, 2002. "Systematically Biased Beliefs About Economics: Robust Evidence of Judgemental Anomalies from the Survey of Americans and Economists on the Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 433-458, April.
- Jeffrey Banks & John Duggan, 2001. "A Multidimensional Model of Repeated Elections," Wallis Working Papers WP24, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Pizer, William A., 2006.
"The Economics of Climate Change,"
dp-06-06, Resources For the Future.
- Aragones, Enriqueta & Palfrey, Thomas R. & Postlewaite, Andrew, 2006.
"Political reputations and campaign promises,"
1258, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Hans Gersbach, 2001.
"Competition of Politicians for Incentive Contracts and Elections,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
406, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans Gersbach, 2004. "Competition of Politicians for Incentive Contracts and Elections," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 121(1), pages 157-177, October.
- Hans Gersbach, 1998. "On the Equivalence of General and Specific Control in Organizations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(5), pages 730-737, May.
- Christoph Böhringer & Carsten Vogt, 2003. "Economic and environmental impacts of the Kyoto Protocol," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 475-496, May.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1975. "Why the Social Insurance Budget Is Too Large in a Democracy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(3), pages 373-88, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.