Multinational Bank Regulation with Deposit Insurance and Diversification Effects
We analyse a model in which bank deposits are insured and there is an exogenous cost of bank capital. The former effect results in bank over-investment and the latter in under-investment. Regulatory capital requirements introduce investment distortions, which are a constrained optimal response to these market imperfections. We show that capital requirements which are constrained optimal for national banks result in under-investment by multinational banks. The extent of under-investment depends upon the home bank’s riskiness, the extent of international diversification, and the liability structure (branch or subsidiary) of the multinational. Capital requirements for international banks should therefore reflect these effects. We relate our findings to observed features of multinational banks and we discuss the possible existence of a multinational bank channel for financial contagion.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freixas, Xavier & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1998.
"Fair pricing of deposit insurance. Is it possible? Yes. Is it desirable? No,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 217-232, September.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean Charles Rochet, 1995. "Fair pricing of deposit insurance. Is it possible? Yes. Is it desirable? No," Economics Working Papers 130, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1995.
- Charles Kahn & Andrew Winton, 2004.
"Moral Hazard and Optimal Subsidiary Structure for Financial Institutions,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2531-2575, December.
- Charles M. Kahn & Andrew Winton, 2002. "Moral hazard and optimal subsidiary structure for financial institutions," Proceedings 808, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk & Andrew T. Guzman, 2000.
"An Economic Analysis of Transnational Bankruptcies,"
NBER Working Papers
6521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye & Guzman, Andrew T, 1999. "An Economic Analysis of Transnational Bankruptcies," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 775-808, October.
- Rafael Repullo, 2001.
"A model of takeovers of foreign banks,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2002.
"Is the International Convergence of Capital Adequacy Regulation Desirable?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3253, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya, 2003. "Is the International Convergence of Capital Adequacy Regulation Desirable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2745-2782, December.
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas Rønde, 2003.
"Cooperation in International Banking Supervision,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2004-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Milne, Alistair, 2002. "Bank capital regulation as an incentive mechanism: Implications for portfolio choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Griffin, John M. & Andrew Karolyi, G., 1998.
"Another look at the role of the industrial structure of markets for international diversification strategies,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 351-373, December.
- John M. Griffin & G. Andrew Karolyi, . "Another Look at the Role of the Industrial Structure of Markets for International Diversification Strategies," Research in Financial Economics 9608, Ohio State University.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1982. " Aspects of Monetary and Banking Theory and Moral Hazard," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 371-84, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James V. Houpt, 1999. "International activities of U.S. banks and in U.S. banking markets," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 599-616.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Weller, Christian E. & Scher, Mark J., 1999. "Multinational banks and development finance," ZEI Working Papers B 16-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Alan Morrison & Lucy White, 2002. "Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking," Economics Series Working Papers 2002-FE-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Equity, Bonds, and Bank Debt: Capital Structure and Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 324-351, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.