Regulation of Multinational banks: A Theoretical Inquiry
This Paper studies prudential regulation of a multinational bank (MNB here-after). We analyse how two frequently chosen representation forms for MNBs - branch and subsidiary representation - affect the behaviour of national regulators. We find that the different liability structure and insurance arrangements for non-local depositors under the two representations have a crucial impact on regulators’ behaviour. We show that branch representation leads to a more lenient regulation for the home unit (the unit of incorporation) than subsidiary representation. Regulation of the foreign unit can be softer or tougher in branch MNBs depending on the prospect of the home unit. We examine how intervention of a regulator in charge of a given bank's unit changes with the information received about the foreign units. We discuss the effect of lobbying activity and international resources transfers on its regulation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Repullo, R., 1999.
"Who Should Act as Lender of Last Resort? An Incomplete Contracts Model,"
9913, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "Who Should Act as Lender of Last Resort? An Incomplete Contracts Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 580-605, August.
- Rafael Repullo, 2000. "Who should act as lender of last resort? an incomplete contracts model," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 580-610.
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas Rønde, 2003.
"Cooperation in International Banking Supervision,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2004-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2006. "Competition among regulators and credit market integration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 401-430, February.
- Rafael Repullo, 2001.
"A model of takeovers of foreign banks,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"Protection for Sale,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- George J. Mailath & Loretta J. Mester, 1993.
"A positive analysis of bank closure,"
93-10/R, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye & Guzman, Andrew T, 1999.
"An Economic Analysis of Transnational Bankruptcies,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 775-808, October.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk & Andrew T. Guzman, 2000. "An Economic Analysis of Transnational Bankruptcies," NBER Working Papers 6521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Kahn & Andrew Winton, 2004.
"Moral Hazard and Optimal Subsidiary Structure for Financial Institutions,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2531-2575, December.
- Charles M. Kahn & Andrew Winton, 2002. "Moral hazard and optimal subsidiary structure for financial institutions," Proceedings 808, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan, 2003. "Multinational Bank Regulation with Deposit Insurance and Diversification Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 4148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giacomo Calzolari, 2004. "Incentive Regulation of Multinational Enterprises," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(1), pages 257-282, 02.
- Acharya, Viral V, 2002.
"Is the International Convergence of Capital Adequacy Regulation Desirable?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3253, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya, 2003. "Is the International Convergence of Capital Adequacy Regulation Desirable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2745-2782, December.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2011.
"Regulation of multinational banks: A theoretical inquiry,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 178-198, April.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Lóránth, Gyöngyi, 2004. "Regulation of Multinational banks: A Theoretical Inquiry," CEPR Discussion Papers 4232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2005. "Regulation of multinational banks: a theoretical inquiry," Working Paper Series 0431, European Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas, 1999.
"Optimal bail out policy, conditionality and constructive ambiguity,"
Economics Working Papers
400, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- X. Freixas, 2000. "Optimal Bail Out Policy, Conditionality and Constructive Ambiguity," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 49, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Golder, Stefan M., 2001. "Foreign versus domestic banks in Germany and the US: a tale of two markets?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 341-361, December.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Lewis, Tracy R, 1991.
"Negotiated Trade Restrictions with Private Political Pressure,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1287-307, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Tracy R. Lewis, 1987. "Negotiated Trade Restrictions with Private Political Pressure," NBER Working Papers 2374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"A Theory of Debt and Equity: Diversity of Securities and Manager-Shareholder Congruence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1027-54, November.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9593, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gyöngyi Lóránth & Alan D. Morrison, 2007. "Deposit Insurance, Capital Regulations, and Financial Contagion in Multinational Banks," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(5-6), pages 917-949.
- Gyongyi Loranth & Alan Morrison, 2003. "Multinational Bank Capital Regulation with Deposit Insurance and Diversification Effects," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe11, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.