Structural change and income distribution: the case of Australian telecommunications
The Australian telecommunications sector experienced substantial structural change during the 1990s, change that increased productivity and reduced costs. At this time, telecommunications was already an important item of household expenditure and input to production. We estimate the effect of the structural change on households depending on their location in the distribution of income and expenditure. Our estimates are calculated by applying a computable general equilibrium model incorporating microsimulation behaviour with top-down and bottom-up links. We estimate significant increases in real income and small increases in inequality from the changes; the pattern of effects is largely uniform across regions. Sensitivity analysis indicates that our results are insensitive to variations in model parameters.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorothee Boccanfuso & Antonio Estache & Luc Savard, 2009. "A Macro-Micro Analysis of the Effects of Electricity Reform in Senegal on Poverty and Distribution," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(3), pages 351-368.
- Antonio Estache & Omar Chisari & C. Romero, 1999.
"Winners and Losers from the Privatization and Regulation of Utilities: Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model of Argentina,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1999. "Winners and Losers from the Privatization and Regulation of Utilities: Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model of Argentina," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 357-78, May.
- Quiggin, J., 1995.
"Estimating the Benefits of Hilmer and Related Reforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
338, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- John Quiggin, 1997. "Estimating the Benefits of Hilmer and Related Reforms," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(3), pages 256-272.
- Ye, Qiang, 2008. "Commodity booms and their impacts on the Western Australian economy: The iron ore case," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 83-101, June.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006.
"Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies,"
20, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-106, April.
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590863, HAL.
- Amadéo Spadaro & François Bourguignon, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Post-Print halshs-00754162, HAL.
- Philip D. Adams & J. Mark Horridge & Brian R. Parmenter, 2000. "MMRF-GREEN: A Dynamic, Multi-Sectoral, Multi-Regional Model of Australia," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-94, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Abdoulaye Seck & Abdelkrim Araar & Karamoko Camara & Fatoumata L. Diallo & Ndeye Khady M. Diop & Founty A. Fall, 2015. "Female Entrepreneurship, Access to Credit, And Firms’ Performance in Senegal," Working Papers PMMA 2015-12, PEP-PMMA.
- Kennedy, S. & Borland, J., 1997.
"A wage Curve for Australia?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
372, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez & Omar Chisari, 2003.
"Can the gains from Argentina's utilities reform offset credit shocks?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44069, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Daniel Benitez & Omar Chisari & Antonio Estache, 2003. "Can the gains from Argentina's utilities reform offset credit shocks?," Chapters, in: Utility Privatization and Regulation, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Benitez, Daniel A. & Chisari, Omar O. & Estache, Antonio, 2001. "Can the Gains from Argentina's Utilities Reform Offset Credit Shocks?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Konan Denise Eby & MASKUS Keith E., .
"Quantifying the Impact of Services Liberalization in a Developing Country,"
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 142-162, October.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2003. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3193, The World Bank.
- Naqvi, Farzana & Peter, Matthew W, 1996. "A Multiregional, Multisectoral Model of the Australian Economy with an Illustrative Application," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(66), pages 94-113, June.
- Wittwer, Glyn & McKirdy, Simon & Wilson, Ryan, 2005.
"Regional economic impacts of a plant disease incursion using a general equilibrium approach,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- Glyn Wittwer & Simon McKirdy & Ryan Wilson, 2005. "Regional economic impacts of a plant disease incursion using a general equilibrium approach ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), pages 75-89, 03.
- Luc Savard, 2010.
"Scaling up Infrastructure spending in the Philippines: A CGE top-down/bottom up microsimulation approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
10-06, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Luc Savard, 2010. "Scaling up infrastructure spending in the Philippines: A CGE top-down bottom-up microsimulation approach," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 3(1), pages 43-59.
- Luc SAVARD, . "Scaling Up Infrastructure Spending in the Philippines: A CGE Top-Down Bottom-Up Microsimulation Approach," EcoMod2010 259600149, EcoMod.
- John Cockburn & Erwin L. Corong & Caesar B. Cororaton, 2008. "Poverty Effects of the Philippines' Tariff Reduction Program: Insights from a Computable General Equilibrium Analysis ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 289-319, 09.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994.
"Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK,"
Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers
ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer & Glyn Wittwer, 2011. "Saving the Southern Murray‐Darling Basin: The Economic Effects of a Buyback of Irrigation Water," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(276), pages 153-168, March.
- Andersen, Lykke Eg & Faris, Robert, 2002. "Natural Gas and Income Distribution in Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo 1/2002, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Horridge, Mark & Madden, John & Wittwer, Glyn, 2005. "The impact of the 2002-2003 drought on Australia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-308, April.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Removing Barriers to Trade in Telecommunications," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 435-458, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:g-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.