Structural change and income distribution: the case of Australian telecommunications
The Australian telecommunications sector experienced substantial structural change during the 1990s, change that increased productivity and reduced costs. At this time, telecommunications was already an important item of household expenditure and input to production. We estimate the effect of the structural change on households depending on their location in the distribution of income and expenditure. Our estimates are calculated by applying a computable general equilibrium model incorporating microsimulation behaviour with top-down and bottom-up links. We estimate significant increases in real income and small increases in inequality from the changes; the pattern of effects is largely uniform across regions. Sensitivity analysis indicates that our results are insensitive to variations in model parameters.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wittwer, Glyn & McKirdy, Simon & Wilson, Ryan, 2005. "Regional economic impacts of a plant disease incursion using a general equilibrium approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- John Quiggin, 1997.
"Estimating the Benefits of Hilmer and Related Reforms,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(3), pages 256-272.
- Quiggin, J., 1995. "Estimating the Benefits of Hilmer and Related Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 338, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(1), pages 77-106, April.
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590863, HAL.
- Amadéo Spadaro & François Bourguignon, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Post-Print halshs-00754162, HAL.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Working Papers 20, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Luc Savard, 2010. "Scaling up infrastructure spending in the Philippines: A CGE top-down bottom-up microsimulation approach," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 3(1), pages 43-59.
- Luc SAVARD, "undated". "Scaling Up Infrastructure Spending in the Philippines: A CGE Top-Down Bottom-Up Microsimulation Approach," EcoMod2010 259600149, EcoMod.
- Luc Savard, 2010. "Scaling up Infrastructure spending in the Philippines: A CGE top-down/bottom up microsimulation approach," Cahiers de recherche 10-06, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- John Cockburn & Erwin L. Corong & Caesar B. Cororaton, 2008. "Poverty Effects of the Philippines' Tariff Reduction Program: Insights from a Computable General Equilibrium Analysis ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 289-319, 09.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer & Glyn Wittwer, 2011. "Saving the Southern Murray‐Darling Basin: The Economic Effects of a Buyback of Irrigation Water," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(276), pages 153-168, March.
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Giesecke, James, 2006. "The National and Regional Economic Consequences of Rapid Growth in Australia's Telecommunications Sector," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 61-97, March/Sep.
- Andersen, Lykke Eg & Faris, Robert, 2002. "Natural Gas and Income Distribution in Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo 1/2002, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Naqvi, Farzana & Peter, Matthew W, 1996. "A Multiregional, Multisectoral Model of the Australian Economy with an Illustrative Application," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(66), pages 94-113, June.
- Daniel Benitez & Omar Chisari & Antonio Estache, 2003. "Can the gains from Argentina's utilities reform offset credit shocks?," Chapters, in: Utility Privatization and Regulation, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Benitez, Daniel A. & Chisari, Omar O. & Estache, Antonio, 2001. "Can the Gains from Argentina's Utilities Reform Offset Credit Shocks?," WIDER Working Paper Series 033, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez & Omar Chisari, 2003. "Can the gains from Argentina's utilities reform offset credit shocks?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44069, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Working Papers PMMA 2015-12, PEP-PMMA.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Cahiers de recherche 15-08, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Working Papers MPIA 2015-12, PEP-MPIA.
- Philip D. Adams & J. Mark Horridge & Brian R. Parmenter, 2000. "MMRF-GREEN: A Dynamic, Multi-Sectoral, Multi-Regional Model of Australia," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-94, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1999. "Winners and Losers from the Privatization and Regulation of Utilities: Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model of Argentina," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 357-378, May.
- Antonio Estache & Omar Chisari & C. Romero, 1999. "Winners and Losers from the Privatization and Regulation of Utilities: Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model of Argentina," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Removing Barriers to Trade in Telecommunications," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 435-458, 03.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 142-162, October.
- Konan Denise Eby & MASKUS Keith E., "undated". "Quantifying the Impact of Services Liberalization in a Developing Country," EcoMod2002 330800043, EcoMod.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2003. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3193, The World Bank.
- Horridge, Mark & Madden, John & Wittwer, Glyn, 2005. "The impact of the 2002-2003 drought on Australia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-308, April.
- Kennedy, Steven & Borland, Jeff, 2000. "A Wage Curve for Australia?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 774-803, October.
- Kennedy, S. & Borland, J., 1997. "A wage Curve for Australia?," CEPR Discussion Papers 372, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Ye, Qiang, 2008. "Commodity booms and their impacts on the Western Australian economy: The iron ore case," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 83-101, June.
- Dorothee Boccanfuso & Antonio Estache & Luc Savard, 2009. "A Macro-Micro Analysis of the Effects of Electricity Reform in Senegal on Poverty and Distribution," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(3), pages 351-368. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:g-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.