Colombia´s Efforts at Achieving Inclusive and Sustainable Growth: The Road Traveled and the Challenges Ahead
Introduction. At the end of the 1980s Colombia confronted a situation of low growth and an unsettled domestic security situation. In order to address these issues, a comprehensive reform effort was undertaken starting in 1990. The reform agenda comprised market-driven reforms aimed at enhancing competition and the role of the private sector as well as a vast array of institutional reforms aimed at strengthening macro stability, promoting equality of opportunities in the political and judicial arena, and broad sharing the benefits of growth across regions and individuals. In this paper we show that this ambitious reform drive proved to be very challenging, with reforms aimed at strengthening some foundations for growth actually weakening others. Restrictions from the local environment and issues of design did not allow many of the reforms to fully deliver on their promise. In particular, the benefits of having broadened opportunities through fiscal decentralization, the enhancement of social expenditure and the expansion of access to the judicial system, must be contrasted with the fiscal deterioration and the rise of macro vulnerability that ensued. Starting in 1999 three governments tackled some of the salient problems. While this effort, coupled with a supportive external environment and improved security have delivered a favorable economic outcome, challenges remain in order to further strengthen the foundations for growth. This paper will provide proposals to that effect, with emphasis on the need to remove some of the limitations imposed by the local environment, particularly those arising from a very active judicial system.
|Date of creation:||22 Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ratna Sahay & Rishi Goyal, 2006. "Volatility and Growth in Latin America; An Episodic Approach," IMF Working Papers 06/287, International Monetary Fund.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007.
"Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, January.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, Enero.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002. "Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Jairo NUÑEZ MENDEZ & Roberto STEINER & Ximena CADENA & Renata PARDO, 2002.
"¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?,"
ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA
003795, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Roberto Steiner & Jairo Núñez M. & Ximena Cadena O. & Renata Pardo P., 2002. "¿Cua?les colegios ofrecen mejor educacio?n en Colombia?," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 012943, FEDESARROLLO.
- Jairo Núñez & Roberto Steiner & Ximena Cadena & Renata Pardo, 2002. "¿Cuáles Colegios Ofrecen Mejor Educación En Colombia?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003796, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Alejandro Gaviria & Carlos Medina & Carolina Mejia, 2006. "Assessing Health Reform in Colombia: From Theory to Practice," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2006), pages 29-72, August.
- Alejandro Gaviria, 2004. "Ley 789 De 2002: ¿Funcionó O No?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003140, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jairo Nuñez & Silvia Espinosa, 2005. "Pro-Poor Growth And Pro-Poor Programs In Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003379, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
- Juana Paola BUSTAMANTE IZQUIERDO, 2006. "Factores que inciden en la cobertura del sistema pensional en Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002711, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Joshua Angrist & Eric Bettinger & Michael Kremer, 2006. "Long-Term Educational Consequences of Secondary School Vouchers: Evidence from Administrative Records in Colombia," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 847-862, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000124:009058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.