Undesirable Outputs and a Primal Divisia Productivity Index Based on the Directional Output Distance Function
Despite their great popularity, the conventional Divisia productivity indexes all ignore undesirable outputs. The purpose of this study is to Â…fill in this gap by proposing a primal Divisia-type productivity index that is valid in the presence of undesirable outputs. The new productivity index is derived by total differentiation of the directional output distance function with respect to a time trend and referred to as the DivisiaÂ–-Luenberger productivity index. We also empirically compare the Divisia-Luenberger productivity index and a representative of the conventional Divisia productivity indexes - Â—the radial-output-distance-function-based Feng and Serletis (2010) productivity index - using aggregate data on 15 OECD countries over the period 1981Â–-2000. Our empirical results show that failure to take into account undesirable outputs not only leads to misleading rankings of countries both in terms of productivity growth and in terms of technological change, but also results in wrong conclusions concerning efficiency change.
|Date of creation:||19 Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2500 University Drive N.W., Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4|
Phone: (403) 220-5857
Fax: (403) 282-5262
Web page: http://econ.ucalgary.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Ayres, Robert U & Kneese, Allen V, 1969. "Production , Consumption, and Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 282-97, June.
- Frank Gollop & Gregory P. Swinand, 2001. "Total Resource Productivity. Accounting for Changing Environmental Quality," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 587-608 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin, Robert E., 1986. "Externality regulation and the monopoly firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 347-362, April.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Margaritis, Dimitris, 2008. "Estimating demand with distance functions: Parameterization in the primal and dual," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 266-274, December.
- Guohua Feng & Apostolos Serletis, 2010.
"A Primal Divisia Technical Change Index Based on the Output Distance Function,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
7/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2010. "A primal Divisia technical change index based on the output distance function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 320-330, December.
- Byung M. Jeon & Robin C. Sickles, 2004. "The role of environmental factors in growth accounting," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 567-591.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1996. "Productivity Growth in APEC Countries," Working Papers 197843, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Barnett, William A. & Geweke, John & Wolfe, Michael, 1991. "Seminonparametric Bayesian estimation of the asymptotically ideal production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 5-50.
- Krishna G. Iyer & Alicia N. Rambaldi & Kam Ki Tang, 2008. "Efficiency externalities of trade and alternative forms of foreign investment in OECD countries," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 749-766.
- Barnett, William A & Lee, Yul W, 1985. "The Global Properties of the Miniflex Laurent, Generalized Leontief, and Translog Flexible Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1421-37, November.
- Star, Spencer & Hall, Robert E, 1976. "An Approximate Divisia Index of Total Factor Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 257-63, March.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003.
"A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005. "A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Pethig, Rudiger, 2006.
"Non-linear production, abatement, pollution and materials balance reconsidered,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 185-204, March.
- Rüdiger Pethig, 2005. "Nonlinear Production, Abatement, Pollution and Materials Balance Reconsidered," CESifo Working Paper Series 1549, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Edward R. Morey, 1986. "An Introduction to Checking, Testing, and Imposing Curvature Properties: The True Function and the Estimated Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(2), pages 207-35, May.
- Bert Balk & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Dimitris Margaritis, 2008. "Exact relations between Luenberger productivity indicators and Malmquist productivity indexes," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 35(1), pages 187-190, April.
- Broeck, Julien Van den & Steel, Mark F.J. & Osiewalski, Jacek & Koop, Gary, 1992.
"Stochastic frontier models: a bayesian perspective,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
2823, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- van den Broeck, Julien & Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1994. "Stochastic frontier models : A Bayesian perspective," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 273-303, April.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002.
"Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture,"
0201001, EconWPA, revised 06 Jan 2002.
- Fernandez C. & Koop G. & Steel M.F.J., 2002. "Multiple-Output Production With Undesirable Outputs: An Application to Nitrogen Surplus in Agriculture," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 432-442, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Mark F J Steel & Gary Koop, 2002. "Multiple-output production with undesirable output: An application to nitrogen surplus in agriculture," ESE Discussion Papers 34, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2011. "Radial and non-radial decompositions of Luenberger productivity indicator with an illustrative application," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 721-726, June.
- Kevin J. Fox & W. Erwin Diewert, 2004.
"On the Estimation of Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Monopolistic Markups,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
310, Econometric Society.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2008. "On the estimation of returns to scale, technical progress and monopolistic markups," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 174-193, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Melvyn A. Fuss, 1994. "Productivity Growth in Canadian Telecommunications," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 371-92, May.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Pasurka, Carl A., 2007. "Environmental production functions and environmental directional distance functions," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1055-1066.
- Trivedi, P K, 1981. "Some Discrete Approximations to Divisia Integral Indices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 71-77, February.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Margaritis, Dimitris & Staikouras, Christos, 2009. "Efficiency and productivity growth in the banking industry of Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 557-567, March.
- Barnett, William A. & Lee, Yul W. & Wolfe, Michael D., 1985. "The three-dimensional global properties of the minflex laurent, generalized leontief, and translog flexible functional forms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 3-31.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R, 1980. "The Relative Efficiency of Public and Private Firms in a Competitive Environment: The Case of Canadian Railroads," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 958-976, October.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005. "Bayesian measurement of productivity and efficiency in the presence of undesirable outputs: crediting electric utilities for reducing air pollution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 445-468, June.
- Barnett, William A., 2002. "Tastes and technology: curvature is not sufficient for regularity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 199-202, May.
- Robert G. Chambers, 2002. "Exact nonradial input, output, and productivity measurement," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 20(4), pages 751-765.
- Bert M. Balk, 2005. "Divisia price and quantity indices: 80 years after," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(2), pages 119-158.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clg:wpaper:2013-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (May Ives)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.