Tariff Structure, Trade Expansion and Canadian Protectionism from 1870-1910
'We employ the Anderson-Neary Trade Restrictiveness Index (TRI) to examine Canadian trade policy during the first wave of globalization (1870-1913). Our analysis is the first to examine two important features of this period using the TRI: 1) the shift to protectionist trade policies, and 2) the large expansion in the volume and variety of goods traded. Using customs data on imports at the article level, we show that Canadian trade policy during this period was at least 11% more restrictive than previously understood. We compute the first estimates of the static welfare losses associated with tariff policy at this time to be 0.7-1.5% of GDP. Moreover, we show how trade expansion along the extensive margin affects the restrictiveness and welfare cost associated with a given trade policy.'
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:||31 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2500 University Drive N.W., Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4|
Phone: (403) 220-5857
Fax: (403) 282-5262
Web page: http://econ.ucalgary.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lehmann, Sibylle H. & O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj, 2008.
"The Structure of Protection and Growth in the Late 19th Century,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sibylle H. Lehmann & Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2008. "The Structure of Protection and Growth in the Late 19th Century," NBER Working Papers 14493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sibylle H. Lehmann and Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2008. "The structure of protection and growth in the late 19th century," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp269, IIIS.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2008.
"Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 666-682, November.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions," CEPR Discussion Papers 4669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import demand elasticities and trade distortions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3452, The World Bank.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H., 1997.
"Measuring protection: a cautionary tale,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 169-183, June.
- Peter Lloyd & Donald MacLaren, 2010. "Partial- and General-Equilibrium Measures of Trade Restrictiveness," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 1044-1057, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clg:wpaper:2011-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (May Ives)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.