The Geography of Multi-Speed Europe
This paper describes the possible impact of multi-speed integration on the location of economic activities in Europe. We present a model where two countries integrate their economies and leave a third temporarily outside because of its lower income. We analyse the effect of different integration sequences on industrial location and convergence during the transition period and in the long term, with and without agglomeration economies. Without agglomeration economies, income differentials at the time of integration are the main determinant of industry location. A long transition period may then be called for to avert concentration in the core countries. On the contrary, with migration the temporary exclusion of the poor country may trigger agglomeration in the rich integrated core.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Nov 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Industrial location and public infrastructure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Barry Eichengreen & Jeffry Frieden, 1993. "The Political Economy Of European Monetary Unification: An Analytical Introduction," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 85-104, 07.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1992. "Models of Economic Integration and Localized Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gasiorek, Michael, 1994. "Factor mobility, trade liberalisation," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/94, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Paul Krugman, 1991. "History versus Expectations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 651-667.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993. "European Monetary Unification," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1321-57, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:1995-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.