Contagion effects of the US Subprime Crisis on Developed Countries
This study assesses whether capital markets of developed countries reflect the effects of financial contagion from the US subprime crisis and, in such case, if the intensity of contagion differs across countries. Adopting a definition of contagion that relates the phenomenon to an increase of cross-market linkages following a shock, copula models are used to analyse how the connections between the US and each market in the sample, evolved from the pre-crisis to the crisis period. The results suggest that markets in Canada, Japan, Italy, France and the United Kingdom display significant levels of contagion, which are less relevant in Germany. Canada appears to be the country where the highest intensity of contagion is observed.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2002. "International Asset Allocation With Regime Shifts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1137-1187.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 2000.
"Rational contagion and the globalization of securities markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 79-113, June.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1999. "Regional Contagion and the Globalization of Securities Markets," NBER Working Papers 7153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jose Olmo, 2005. "Contagion Versus Flight To Quality In Financial Markets," Economics Working Papers we051810, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Manganelli, Simone, 2005. "Measuring comovements by regression quantiles," Working Paper Series 0501, European Central Bank.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2000.
"A New Approach to Measuring Financial Contagion,"
NBER Working Papers
7913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Taimur Baig, 1999.
"Financial market contagion in the Asian crisis,"
Textos para discussão
400, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "A Memory-Based Model Of Bounded Rationality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(3), pages 735-774, August.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2002.
"Some Contagion, Some Interdependence: More Pitfalls in Tests of Financial Contagion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2005. "'Some contagion, some interdependence': More pitfalls in tests of financial contagion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1177-1199, December.
- Bertero, Elisabetta & Mayer, Colin, 1989.
"Structure and Performance: Global Interdependence of Stock Markets Around the Crash of October 1987,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertero, Elisabetta & Mayer, Colin, 1990. "Structure and performance: Global interdependence of stock markets around the crash of October 1987," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1155-1180, September.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2008_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.