A Theory of Urban Squatting and Land-Tenure Formalization in Developing Countries
This paper offers a new theoretical approach to urban squatting, reflecting the view that squatters and formal residents compete for land within a city. The key implication of this view is that squatters “squeeze” the formal market, raising the price paid by formal residents. The squatter organizer, however, ensures that this squeezing is not too severe, since otherwise the formal price will rise to a level that invites eviction by landowners (defensive expenditures by squatter households also help to forestall eviction). Because eviction is thus absent in equilibrium, the model differs crucially from previous analytical frameworks, where eviction occurs with some probability.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert M. Buckley & Jerry Kalarickal, 2006. "Thirty Years of World Bank Shelter Lending : What Have We Learned?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7061, August.
- Hoy, Michael & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1991.
"Squatters' Rights and Urban Development: An Economic Perspective,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(229), pages 79-92, February.
- Hoy, M. & Jimenez, E., 1988. "Squatters' Right And Urban Development: An Economic Perspective," Working Papers 1988-14, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Zenou, Yves, 2002. "How do firms redline workers?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 391-408, November.
- Zenou, Yves, 2002. "How Do Firms Redline Workers?," IZA Discussion Papers 607, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zenou, Yves, 2002. "How do Firms Redline Workers?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Galiani, Sebastian & Schargrodsky, Ernesto, 2004. "Effects of land titling on child health," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 353-372, December.
- Sebastian Galiani & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2004. "Effects of Land Titling on Child Health," Research Department Publications 3184, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Philip I. Levy, 2002. "Untitled: A Study of Formal and Informal Property Rights in Urban Ecuador," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 986-1019, October.
- Lanjouw, J.O. & Levy, P.I., 1998. "Untitled: A Study of Formal and Informal Property Rights in Urban Ecuador," Papers 788, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Philip I. Levy, 1998. "Untitled: A Study of Formal and Informal Property Rights in Urban Ecuador," Working Papers 788, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Gilles Duranton, 2007. "From cities to productivity and growth in developing countries," Working Papers tecipa-306, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Duranton, Gilles, 2008. "From Cities to Productivity and Growth in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6634, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lall, Somik V. & Lundberg, Mattias K.A. & Shalizi, Zmarak, 2008. "Implications of alternate policies on welfare of slum dwellers: Evidence from Pune, India," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 56-73, January.
- Zenou, Yves & Boccard, Nicolas, 2000. "Racial Discrimination and Redlining in Cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 260-285, September.
- BOCCARD, Nicolas & ZENOU, Yves, 1999. "Racial discrimination and redlining in cities," CORE Discussion Papers 1999013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Erica Field, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 279-290, 04/05.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1985. "Urban squatting and community organization in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 69-92, June.
- Rafael Di Tella & Sebastian Galiant & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2007. "The Formation of Beliefs: Evidence from the Allocation of Land Titles to Squatters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(1), pages 209-241.
- Spinnewyn, Frans & Svejnar, Jan, 1990. "Optimal Membership, Employment, and Income Distribution in Unionized and Labor-Managed Firms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 317-340, July.
- SPINNEWYN, Frans & SVEJNAR, Jan, "undated". "Optimal membership, employment, and income distribution in unionized and labor-managed firms," CORE Discussion Papers RP 929, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Friedman, Joseph & Jimenez, Emmanuel & Mayo, Stephen K., 1988. "The demand for tenure security in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 185-198, September.
- Field, Erica Marie, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Scholarly Articles 3634150, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Erica Field, 2007. "Entitled to Work: Urban Property Rights and Labor Supply in Peru," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1561-1602.
- Jha, Saumitra & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2007. "Governance in the Gullies: Democratic Responsiveness and Leadership in Delhi's Slums," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 230-246, February.
- Jha, Saumitra & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2005. "Governance in the gullies : democratic responsiveness and leadership in Delhi's slums," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3694, The World Bank.
- Catherine Farvacque-Vitkovic & Lucien Godin & Hugues Leroux & Florence Verdet & Roberto Chavez, 2005. "Street Addressing and the Management of Cities," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7342, August.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1984. "Tenure Security and Urban Squatting," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 556-567, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)