The contagious capacity of the international banking network: 1985-2009
Systemic risk among the network of international banking groups arises when financial stress threatens to crisscross many national boundaries and expose imperfect international coordination. To assess this risk, we use Rosvall and Bergstromâ€™s (PNAS, 2008, 1118-1123) information theoretic map equation to partition banking groups from 21 countries into modules. We consider a quarter of a century of data on the cross-border interbank market. We show that in the late 1980s four important financial centres formed one large super cluster that was highly contagious in terms of transmission of stress within its ranks, but less contagious on a global scale. But the expansion leading to the 2008 crisis left more transmitting hubs sharing the same total influence as a few large modules had previously. We show that this greater entanglement meant the network was more broadly contagious, and not that risk was more shared. Thus, our analysis contributes to our understanding as to why defaults in US sub-prime mortgages spread quickly through the network.
|Date of creation:||16 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2127 North Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210|
Phone: (805) 893-3670
Fax: (805) 893-8830
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsbecon_dwp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2000.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 1-33, February.
- Gai, Prasanna & Kapadia, Sujit, 2010. "Contagion in financial networks," Bank of England working papers 383, Bank of England.
- Galina Hale, 2011.
"Bank relationships, business cycles, and financial crisis,"
Working Paper Series
2011-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Hale, Galina, 2012. "Bank relationships, business cycles, and financial crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 312-325.
- Galina Hale, 2011. "Bank Relationships, Business Cycles, and Financial Crises," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galina Hale, 2011. "Bank Relationships, Business Cycles, and Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 17356, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rauch, James E., 1999.
"Networks versus markets in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010.
"Global Banks and International Shock Transmission: Evidence from the Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2010. "Global banks and international shock transmission: evidence from the crisis," Staff Reports 446, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"International Trade and Financial Integration : a Weighted Network Analysis,"
- Stefano Schiavo & Javier Reyes & Giorgio Fagiolo, 2010. "International trade and financial integration: a weighted network analysis," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 389-399.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "International Trade and Financial Integration : a Weighted Network Analysis," Sciences Po publications 2007-11, Sciences Po.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "International Trade and Financial Integration: A Weighted Network Analysis," LEM Papers Series 2007/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Javier Reyes & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "International Trade and Financial Integration: a Weighted Network Analysis," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2007-11, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
13709, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manmohan Singh & Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto, 2008. "Counterparty Risk in the Over-The-Counter Derivatives Market," IMF Working Papers 08/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew G Haldane & Adrian Penalver & Victoria Saporta & Hyun Song Shin, 2003.
"Analytics of sovereign debt restructuring,"
Bank of England working papers
203, Bank of England.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven & Deniz O Igan & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2010. "Lessons and Policy Implications from the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2010.
"Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers,"
IMF Working Papers
10/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2011. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centres," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 301-330, 06.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp316, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," CEPR Discussion Papers 7694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2009. "The US dollar shortage in global banking," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, pages -, March.
- Stefano Battiston & Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2009.
"Liaisons Dangereuses: Increasing Connectivity, Risk Sharing, and Systemic Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
15611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Battiston, Stefano & Delli Gatti, Domenico & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2012. "Liaisons dangereuses: Increasing connectivity, risk sharing, and systemic risk," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1121-1141.
- Joshua Coval & Jakub Jurek & Erik Stafford, 2009. "The Economics of Structured Finance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 3-25, Winter.
- Henri Bernard & Joseph Bisignano, 2000. "Information, liquidity and risk in the international interbank market: implicit guarantees and private credit market failure," BIS Working Papers 86, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsbec:qt0r89f16p. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.