Assessing the World Bank’s influence on the good governance paradigm
What does governance mean for the World Bank and to what extent does the organization succeed in diffusing the paradigm worldwide? The World Bank primarily focused on economic aspects of governance in the 1980s, and progressively moved to its political dimensions towards the end of 1990s. The paper discusses the reasons for this global shift and its consistency with regard to the values of the liberal society. Bibliometric methods are used to evaluate the role of the Bank as a producer of knowledge on this specific issue. The potential influence of the World Bank’s main governance indicators: Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA), Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) and Doing Business, is depicted through what donors claim when allocating aid, and beyond rhetoric, through what correlations suggest. For each of the main international donors, cross-sectional econometric regressions are run on large samples of developing countries (2005-2008). Depending on the donor we look at, empirical results do not reject strong covariations between new aid commitments and the CPIA, and to a lesser extent with the WGI.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 65 Bd. F. Mitterrand, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand|
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Guillaumont, 2009.
"An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy,"
- Patrick Guillaumont, 2009. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 193-228.
- Patrick Guillaumont, 2008. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Post-Print hal-00364455, HAL.
- Guillaumont, Patrick, 2008. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Working Paper Series RP2008/99, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Patrick Guillaumont, 2011. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Working Papers halshs-00554328, HAL.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT, 2009. "An Economic Vulnerability Index: Its Design and Use for International Development Policy," Working Papers 200907, CERDI.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Lisa CHAUVET, 1999.
"Aid and Performance: A Reassessment,"
- Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2008.
"Good Governance and Good Aid Allocation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3585, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benito Arruñada, 2007.
"Pitfalls to avoid when measuring institutions: Is "Doing Business" damaging business?,"
Economics Working Papers
1040, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2010.
- Arrunada, Benito, 2007. "Pitfalls to avoid when measuring institutions: Is Doing Business damaging business?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 729-747, December.
- Benito Arruñada, 2010. "Pitfalls to Avoid when Measuring Institutions: Is 'Doing Business' Damaging Business?," Working Papers 451, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2005.
"Reforming the Formula: A Modest Proposal for Introducing Development Outcomes in IDA Allocation Procedures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4971, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2005. "Reforming the Formula: A Modest Proposal for Introducing Development Outcomes in IDA Allocation Procedures," Working Papers 127071, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart, 2008.
"Governance Indicators: Where Are We, Where Should We Be Going?,"
8212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Kaufmann & Aart Kraay, 2008. "Governance Indicators: Where Are We, Where Should We Be Going?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart, 2007. "Governance indicators : where are we, where should we be going ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4370, The World Bank.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997.
"Whither the World Bank and the IMF?,"
NBER Working Papers
6327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owusu, Francis, 2003. "Pragmatism and the Gradual Shift from Dependency to Neoliberalism: The World Bank, African Leaders and Development Policy in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1655-1672, October.
- Matt Andrews, 2008. "The Good Governance Agenda: Beyond Indicators without Theory," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 379-407.
- Hagen, Rune Jansen, 2006. "Samaritan agents? On the strategic delegation of aid policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 249-263, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:1283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.