Pitfalls to avoid when measuring institutions: Is "Doing Business" damaging business?
Over recent years, both governments and international aid organizations have been devoting large amounts of resources to “simplifying” the procedures for setting up and formalizing firms. Many of these actions have focused on reducing the initial costs of setting up the firm, disregarding the more important role of business registers as a source of reliable information for judges, government departments and, above all, other firms. This reliable information is essential for reducing transaction costs in future dealings with all sorts of economic agents, both public and private. The priorities of reform policies should therefore be thoroughly reviewed, stressing the value of the legal institutions rather than trivializing them as is often the case.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benito Arruñada, 2001.
"Property enforcement as organized consent,"
Economics Working Papers
564, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Field, Erica Marie, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Scholarly Articles 3634150, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Benito Arruñada, 2007.
"Market and institutional determinants in the regulation of conveyancers,"
Economics Working Papers
1034, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benito ArruÃ±ada, 2007. "Market and institutional determinants in the regulation of conveyancers," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 93-116, April.
- Barzel,Yoram, 1997. "Economic Analysis of Property Rights," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521597135.
- Erica Field, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 279-290, 04/05.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:117:y:2002:i:1:p:1-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arrunada, Benito & Garoupa, Nuno, 2005.
"The Choice of Titling System in Land,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 709-27, October.
- World Bank & International Finance Corporation, 2006. "Doing Business 2007 : How to Reform," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7245.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:1040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.