Employment Risk over the Life Cycle
In this paper we focus on the relative role of job finding and job exit in shaping the employment risk over the life cycle. Using Italian labor market data we document that the risk of being fired and the chance of reemployment display substantial heterogeneity depending on age, cohort and occupational characteristics. We show how the two risk combine in shaping the employment risk. Our results evidence that the life cycle employment probability profile is hump shaped with a peak at adult age and that this dynamic is mainly driven by the “U” –age profile of transitions from employment to unemployment. Moreover, we find that differences in job finding probabilities are mainly responsible for the heterogeneity in the employment risk across working groups.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Real Collegio, 30, 10024 Moncalieri (To)|
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matt Jackson, 2003.
"The Effects of Social Networks on Employment and Inequality,"
Theory workshop papers
658612000000000032, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Matthew O. Jackson, 2004. "The Effects of Social Networks on Employment and Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 426-454, June.
- Bover, O. & Arellano, M. & Bentolila, S., 1997.
"Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration, and the Business Cycle,"
9717, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano & Samuel Bentolila, 2002. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 223-265, April.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano & Samuel Bentolila, 1996. "Unemployment duration, benefit duration, and the business cycle," Estudios Económicos, Banco de España;Estudios Económicos Homepage, number 57, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 1998. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 1840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Voicu, Alexandru, 2005.
"Employment dynamics in the Romanian labor market. A Markov chain Monte Carlo approach,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 604-639, September.
- Voicu, Alexandru, 2002. "Employment Dynamics in the Romanian Labor Market: A Markov Chain Monte Carlo Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 438, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexandru Voicu, 2002. "Employment Dynamics in the Romanian Labor Market. A Markov Chain Monte Carlo Approach," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 349, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 2003.
"Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 586-604, August.
- Christopher D Carroll & Karen E Dynan & Spencer D Krane, 1999. "Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets," Economics Working Paper Archive 416, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 1999. "Unemployment risk and precautionary wealth: evidence from households' balance sheets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert E. Hall, 1978.
"A Theory of the Natural Unemployment Rate and the Duration of Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
0251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E., 1979. "A theory of the natural unemployment rate and the duration of employment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Lynch, Lisa M, 1989. "The Youth Labor Market in the Eighties: Determinants of Re-employment Probabilities for Young Men and Women," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 37-45, February.
- van den Berg, G., 1987.
"Nonstationarity in job search theory,"
c2b931bf-9cce-4bae-929c-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Gregg, Paul, 2001. "The Impact of Youth Unemployment on Adult Unemployment in the NCDS," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F626-53, November.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 2001.
"Reemployment Probabilities and Returns to Matching,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 716-41, July.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 1998. "Re-employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEP Discussion Papers dp0406, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999. "Re-Employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEPR Discussion Papers 2266, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stuart O. Schweitzer & Ralph E. Smith, 1974. "The Persistence of the Discouraged Worker Effect," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 27(2), pages 249-260, January.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Peter Simmons, 1999.
"Unemployment risk, labour force participation and savings,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
9902, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Peter Simmons, 2003. "Unemployment Risk, Labour Force Participation and Savings," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(3), pages 521-539.
- Gabriella Berloffa & Peter Simmons, . "Unemployment Risk, Labour Force Participation and Savings," Discussion Papers 97/7, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992. "Loss of Skill During Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-1391.
- Vishwanath, Tara, 1989. "Job Search, Stigma Effect, and Escape Rate from Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(4), pages 487-502, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wpaper:280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.