Does the Design of Spot Markets Matter for the Success of Futures Markets? Evidence from Dairy Futures
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nam, Seung Oh & Kim, Hyun Kyung & Kim, Byung Chun, 2010. "An alternative approach to evaluating the agreement between financial markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 13-35, February.
- Ted Juhl & Ira G. Kawaller & Paul D. Koch, 2012. "The Effect of the Hedge Horizon on Optimal Hedge Size and Effectiveness When Prices are Cointegrated," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(9), pages 837-876, September.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1984. "Futures markets: Their purpose, their history, their growth, their successes and failures," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(3), pages 237-271, September.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Ilias D. Visvikis, 2006. "Shipping freight derivatives: a survey of recent evidence," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 233-255, July.
- Ira G. Kawaller, 1987. "A note: Debunking the myth of the risk‐free return," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 327-331, June.
- Donald Lien, 2008. "A note on estimating the benefit of a composite hedge," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 711-716, July.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Fofana, N'Zue F., 2001. "Success And Failure Of Agricultural Futures Contracts," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-17.
- Kenyon, David E. & Bainbridge, Bruce & Ernst, Robin, 1991. "Impact Of Cash Settlement On Feeder Cattle Basis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-13, July.
- Erba, Eric M. & Novakovic, Andrew M., 1995. "The Evolution of Milk Pricing and Government Intervention in Dairy Markets," EB Series 186308, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Asim Ghosh, 1993. "Hedging with stock index futures: Estimation and forecasting with error correction model," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 743-752, October.
- Philip Garcia & Scott H. Irwin & Aaron Smith, 2015. "Futures Market Failure?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 97(1), pages 40-64.
- Yoonsuk Lee & Clement E. Ward & B. Wade Brorsen, 2012. "Procurement Price Relationships for Fed Cattle and Hogs: Importance of the Cash Market in Price Discovery," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 135-147, March.
- Lien, Donald & Tse, Y K, 2002. " Some Recent Developments in Futures Hedging," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 357-396, July.
- T. Randall Fortenbery & Hector O. Zapata, 1997.
"An evaluation of price linkages between futures and cash markets for cheddar cheese,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 279-301, May.
- Fortenbery, T. Randall & Zapata, Hector O., 1995. "An Evaluation of Price Linkages Between Futures and Cash Markets for Cheddar Cheese," Working Papers 204126, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Adams, Zeno & Gerner, Mathias, 2012. "Cross hedging jet-fuel price exposure," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1301-1309.
- David G. McMillan & Numan Ülkü, 2009. "Persistent mispricing in a recently opened emerging index futures market: Arbitrageurs invited," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(3), pages 218-243, March.
- Tashjian, Elizabeth, 1995. "Optimal futures contract design," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 153-162.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Manfredo, Mark R. & Greer, Tracy D., 2003. "Hedging Spot Corn: An Examination Of The Minneapolis Grain Exchange'S Cash Settled Corn Contract," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-17.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Gary Gorton & Geert Rouwenhorst, 2015. "Facts and Fantasies about Commodity Futures Ten Years Later," NBER Working Papers 21243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pirrong, Craig, 2001. "Manipulation of Cash-Settled Futures Contracts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(2), pages 221-244, April.
- Johnston, Elizabeth Tashjian & McConnell, John J, 1989. "Requiem for a Market: An Analysis of the Rise and Fall of a Financial Futures Contract," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(1), pages 1-23.
More about this item
KeywordsAgricultural Commodities; Hedging; Futures Market Effectiveness; Spot Market Design; Dairy; CME NFDM Futures; NZX WMP Futures; Settlement to Average Spot Price;
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2018-01-01 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2017-12-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ALL-2018-01-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-DES-2018-01-01 (Economic Design)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:17/18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/decannz.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.