Auction House Guarantees for Works of Art
Auction houses use both in-house and third-party guarantees for sellers who are concerned about the risk that not enough bidders will enter the auction for their works. Auction houses are compensated for guarantees by buyers’ commissions and successful sales after attracting important works of art. Sellers compensate third-party guarantors by splitting the excess of the final sale price over the guarantee. The guarantor can bid in the auction, and at Christie's, the third-party guarantor still receives a share of the difference between the winning price and the guarantee price, even if he wins the auction, which means the guarantor has a “toehold”. We explore the effect of guarantees (both in-house and third-party) on prices in art auctions, using a large database of auctions and a smaller database of repeat sales.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.brandeis.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Habib, Bilal & Narayan, Ambar & Olivieri, Sergio & Sanchez-Paramo, Carolina, 2010. "Assessing poverty and distributional impacts of the global crisis in the Philippines : a microsimulation approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5286, The World Bank.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 1998.
"Toeholds and Takeovers,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1998-W04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance 9903005, EconWPA.
- Bulow, Jeremy I. & Huang, Ming & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance 9608001, EconWPA.
- Rajdeep Singh, 1995.
"Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse,"
- Singh, Rajdeep, 1998. "Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 679-704.
- Paul Klemperer, 1997.
"Auctions with Almost Common Values: The Wallet Game and its Applications,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1998-W03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1998. "Auctions with almost common values: The 'Wallet Game' and its applications," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 757-769, May.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1999.
"Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1259-1278, December.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1996. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1998. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, D., 1996. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," Working papers 96-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Susan Parker & Emmanuel Skoufias, 2004. "The added worker effect over the business cycle: evidence from urban Mexico," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 625-630.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1994. "Changes in the U.S. Wage Structure 1963-1987: Application of Quantile Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 405-58, March.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Eric A. Greenleaf & Ambar G. Rao & Atanu R. Sinha, 1993. "Guarantees in Auctions: The Auction House as Negotiator and Managerial Decision Maker," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1130-1145, September.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1989. "Government procurement and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 291-308, May.
- Alan Beggs & Kathryn Graddy, 2008.
"Failure to meet the reserve price: the impact on returns to art,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Beggs, Alan & Graddy, Kathryn, 2006. "Failure to Meet the Reserve Price: The Impact on Returns to Art," CEPR Discussion Papers 5811, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan Beggs & Kathryn Graddy, 2006. "Failure to Meet the Reserve Price: The Impact on Returns to Art," Economics Series Working Papers 272, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Linda Adair & Eilene Bisgrove & David Guilkey & Socorro Gultiano, 2002. "Effect of childbearing on Filipino women's work hours and earnings," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 625-645.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:brd:wpaper:71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leslie Yancich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.