The Effects of Uncertainty on the Leverage of Non-Financial Firms
This paper investigates the link between the optimal level of nonfinancial firms' leverage and macroeconomic uncertainty. We develop a structural model of a firm's value maximization problem that predicts that as macroeconomic uncertainty increases the firm will decrease its optimal level of borrowing. We test this proposition using a panel of non-financial US firms drawn from the COMPUSTAT quarterly database covering the period 1991-2001. The estimates confirm that as macroeconomic uncertainty increases, firms decrease their levels of leverage. Furthermore, we demonstrate that our results are robust with respect to the inclusion of the index of leading indicators.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:||27 Jul 2007|
|Publication status:||published, Economic Inquiry, 47 (2009), 216-225|
|Note:||formerly circulated as "Macroeconomic Uncertainty and Firm Leverage"|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Bloom & Steve Bond & John Van Reenen, 2001. "The dynamics of investment under uncertainty," IFS Working Papers W01/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Inessa Love, 2003.
"Financial Development and Financing Constraints: International Evidence from the Structural Investment Model,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 765-791, July.
- Love, Inessa, 2001. "Financial development and financing constraints - international evidence from the structural investment model," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2694, The World Bank.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Christopher F Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan, 2003.
"The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
69, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 410, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non–Financial Firms," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/19, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Talavera, Oleksandr & Ozkan, Neslihan & Caglayan, Mustafa & Baum, Christopher F., 2004. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Cash Holdings for Non-Financial Firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Vivek Ghosal & Prakash Loungani, 2000. "The Differential Impact of Uncertainty on Investment in Small and Large Businesses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 338-343, May.
- Joseph P. Byrne & E. Philip Davis, 2005.
"Investment and Uncertainty in the G7,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 141(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983.
"Real Determinants of Corporate Leverage,"
NBER Working Papers
1151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil K Kashyap & Toni M. Whited, 1993. "Internal Finance and Firm Investment," NBER Working Papers 4392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles Himmelberg, 1999.
"Investment: Fundamentals and Finance,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1998, volume 13, pages 223-274
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- n/a, 1999. "An Artificial Neural Network System of Leading Indicators," NIESR Discussion Papers 198, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Michael S. Weisbach, 2004. "The Cash Flow Sensitivity of Cash," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1777-1804, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.