Mixed frequency structural models: estimation, and policy analysis
In this paper we show analytically, with simulation experiments and with actual data that a mismatch between the time scale of a DSGE model and that of the time series data used for its estimation generally creates identfication problems, introduces estimation bias and distorts the results of policy analysis. On the constructive side, we prove that the use of mixed frequency data, combined with a proper estimation approach, can alleviate the temporal aggregation bias, mitigate the identfication issues, and yield more reliable policy conclusions. The problems and possible remedy are illustrated in the context of standard structural monetary policy models.
|Date of creation:||11 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 22 31 60 00
Fax: +47 22 41 31 05
Web page: http://www.norges-bank.no/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 2004.
"Estimating the Euler equation for output,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1133-1153, September.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 2002. "Estimating the Euler equation for output," Working Paper Series 2002-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jeffrey C. Fuhrer & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2002. "Estimating the Euler equation for output," Working Papers 02-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Oscar Jorda, 2003.
"Random-Time Aggregation In Partial Ajustment Models,"
9732, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jorda, Oscar, 1999. "Random-Time Aggregation in Partial Adjustment Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 382-95, July.
- Oscar Jorda, . "Random-Time Aggregation In Partial Ajustment Models," Department of Economics 97-32, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- ., 2008. "Population Aging, Financial Markets and Monetary Policy," Chapters, in: Frontiers in Pension Finance, chapter 11 Edward Elgar.
- Frank Smets & Rafael Wouters, 2007.
"Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 586-606, June.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 6112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Shocks and frictions in US business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 0722, European Central Bank.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles : a Bayesian DSGE Approach," Working Paper Research 109, National Bank of Belgium.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(1), pages 147-180.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Olaf Posch & Michel van der Wel, 2011. "Estimating Dynamic Equilibrium Models using Macro and Financial Data," CREATES Research Papers 2011-21, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1987.
"Temporal aggregation and structural inference in macroeconomics,"
306, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1987. "Temporal aggregation and structural inference in macroeconomics," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 63-130, January.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin S. Eichenbaum, 1986. "Temporal Aggregation and Structural Inference in Macroeconomics," NBER Technical Working Papers 0060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- anonymous, 2008. "Monetary policy report to the Congress," Web Site 16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberto S. Mariano & Yasutomo Murasawa, 2010. "A Coincident Index, Common Factors, and Monthly Real GDP," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(1), pages 27-46, 02.
- anonymous, 2008. "Monetary policy report to the Congress," Web Site 34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bno:worpap:2013_15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.