One area where international monetary cooperation has failed is in the role of surplus or creditor countries in limiting or in correcting external imbalances. The stock dimensions of such imbalances - net external positions, leverage in national balance sheets, currency/maturity mismatches, the structure of ownership of assets and liabilities and over-reliance on debt - can threaten financial stability in creditor as in debtor countries. Creditor countries therefore have a responsibility both for avoiding "overlending" and for devising cooperative solutions to excessive or prolonged imbalances.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N/A, 2011. "Reform of the International Monetary System," Global Journal of Emerging Market Economies, Emerging Markets Forum, vol. 3(2), pages 185-193, May.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2010. "Sudden Stops, Financial Crises, and Leverage," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 1941-66, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Taylor, Alan M., 1997.
"The Great Depression as a Watershed: International Capital Mobility over the Long Run,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1633, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan M. Taylor, 1998. "The Great Depression as a Watershed: International Capital Mobility over the Long Run," NBER Chapters, in: The Defining Moment: The Great Depression and the American Economy in the Twentieth Century, pages 353-402 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan M. Taylor, 1997. "The Great Depression as a Watershed: International Capital Mobility over the Long Run," NBER Working Papers 5960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carol Bertaut & Laurie Pounder DeMarco & Steve Kamin & Ralph Tryon, 2011. "ABS Inflows to the United States and the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Wener Sinn & Teresa Buchen & Timo Wollmershauser, 2011. "Trade Imbalances: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Measures," Book Chapters, in: Jack T. Boorman & André Icard (ed.), Reform of the International Monetary System: The Palais Royal Initiative, chapter 26, pages 321-342 Emerging Markets Forum.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.