The impact of yuan internationalization on the euro-dollar exchange rate
We study the implication of a multipolarization of the international monetary system on cross-currency volatility. More specifically, we analyze whether the internationalization of the yuan could modify the impact of asset supply and trade shocks on the euro-dollar exchange rate, within a three-country, three-currency portfolio model. Our static model shows that the internationalization of the yuan (defined as a rise in the yuan in international portfolios) would be either neutral or stabilizing for the euro-dollar rate, whatever the exchange-rate regime of China. Moving to a dynamic, stock-flow framework, we show that the internationalization of the yuan would make exchange-rate variations more efficient to stabilize net foreign asset positions after a trade shock
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2011.
"Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199596713, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2012. "Exorbitant Privilege: The Rise and Fall of the Dollar," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199642472, June.
- Dobson, Wendy & Masson, Paul R., 2009.
"Will the renminbi become a world currency?,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 124-135, March.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011.
"Global Currencies for Tomorrow: A European Perspective,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/174278, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benjamin Carton & Christophe Destais & Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Shahin Vallée, . "Global currencies for tomorrow: a European perspective," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 592.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benjamin Carton & Zsolt Darvas & Christophe Destais & Ludovic Gauvin & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Shahin Vallée, 2011. "Global currencies for tomorrow: A European perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 444, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1987.
"Hegemonic Stability Theories of the International Monetary System,"
NBER Working Papers
2193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1987. "Hegemonic Stability Theories of the International Monetary System," CEPR Discussion Papers 193, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Yongding Yu & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré, 2011.
"Reform of the international monetary system: Some concrete steps,"
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Yu Yongding, 2011. "Reform of the International Monetary System: Some Concrete Steps," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 309.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Yongding Yu, 2011. "Reform of the international monetary system: Some concrete steps," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00685901, HAL.
- Jacques Mazier & Gnanonobodom Tiou‐Tagba Aliti, 2012. "World Imbalances And Macroeconomic Adjustments: A Three‐Country Stock‐Flow Consistent Model With Fixed Or Flexible Prices," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 358-388, 05.
- Benjamin J. Cohen, 2009. "Dollar Dominance, Euro Aspirations: Recipe for Discord?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 741-766, 09.
- N/A, 2011. "Reform of the International Monetary System," Global Journal of Emerging Market Economies, Emerging Markets Forum, vol. 3(2), pages 185-193, May.
- Michael P. Dooley & David Folkerts-Landau & Peter Garber, 2004. "The revived Bretton Woods system," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 307-313.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:13016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.