Priors about Observables in Vector Autoregressions
Standard practice in Bayesian VARs is to formulate priors on the autore- gressive parameters, but economists and policy makers actually have priors about the behavior of observable variables. Our proposal is to use prior infor- mation on observables systematically. We show how this kind of prior can be used under strict probability theory principles. We state the inverse problem to be solved and we propose a numerical algorithm that works well in practical situations with a large number of parameters. We prove various convergence theorems for the algorithm. Using examples from the VAR literature, we show how priors on observables can address a priori weaknesses of standard priors, serving as a cross check and an alternative formulation.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ramon Trias Fargas, 25-27, 08005 Barcelona|
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2008.
"Generalized nonparametric deconvolution with an application to earnings dynamics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP03/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2010. "Generalized Non-Parametric Deconvolution with an Application to Earnings Dynamics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(2), pages 491-533.
- Adjemian, Stéphane & Bastani, Houtan & Karamé, Fréderic & Juillard, Michel & Maih, Junior & Mihoubi, Ferhat & Perendia, George & Pfeifer, Johannes & Ratto, Marco & Villemot, Sébastien, 2011. "Dynare: Reference Manual Version 4," Dynare Working Papers 1, CEPREMAP, revised Jul 2014.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1985.
"Forecasting with Bayesian vector autoregressions five years of experience,"
274, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1986. "Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions-Five Years of Experience," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Ivan A. Canay & Andres Santos & Azeem M. Shaikh, 2013.
"On the Testability of Identification in Some Nonparametric Models With Endogeneity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 81(6), pages 2535-2559, November.
- Ivan A. Canay & Andres Santos & Azeem M. Shaikh, 2012. "On the testability of identification in some nonparametric models with endogeneity," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Marek Jarocinski & Albert Marcet, 2011.
"Autoregressions in Small Samples, Priors about Observables and Initial Conditions,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1061, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jarociński, Marek & Marcet, Albert, 2010. "Autoregressions in small samples, priors about observables and initial conditions," Working Paper Series 1263, European Central Bank.
- Sims, Christopher A & Zha, Tao, 1998.
"Bayesian Methods for Dynamic Multivariate Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 949-68, November.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Mattias Villani, 2009. "Steady-state priors for vector autoregressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 630-650.
- Marcet, Albert & Sargent, Thomas J., 1989. "Convergence of least squares learning mechanisms in self-referential linear stochastic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 337-368, August.
- Kadane, Joseph B. & Chan, Ngai Hang & Wolfson, Lara J., 1996. "Priors for unit root models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 99-111, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.