Generalized nonparametric deconvolution with an application to earnings dynamics
In this paper,we construct a nonparametric estimator of the distributions of latent factors in linear independent multi-factor models under the assumption that factor loadings are known. Our approach allows to estimate the distributions of up to L(L+1)/2 factors given L measurements. The estimator works through empirical characteristic functions. We show that it is consistent, and derive asymptotic convergence rates. Monte-Carlo simulations show good finite-sample performance, less so if distributions are highly skewed or leptokurtic. We finally apply the generalized deconvolution procedure to decompose individual log earnings from the PSID into permanent and transitory components.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keisuke Hirano, 2002. "Semiparametric Bayesian Inference in Autoregressive Panel Data Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 781-799, March.
- John M. Abowd & David Card, 1986.
"On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
1832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abowd, John M & Card, David, 1989. "On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 411-45, March.
- Brown, James N & Light, Audrey, 1992. "Interpreting Panel Data on Job Tenure," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(3), pages 219-57, July.
- Lee A. Lillard & Robert J. Willis, 1976.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earnings Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
0150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horowitz, Joel L & Markatou, Marianthi, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Regression Models for Panel Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 145-68, January.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2007.
"An empirical investigation of labor income processes,"
IFS Working Papers
W07/13, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 58-79, January.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," NBER Working Papers 13394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2005. "An Empirical Investigation of Labor Income Processes," Macroeconomics 0508026, EconWPA.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2007.
"Learning Your Earning: Are Labor Income Shocks Really Very Persistent?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 687-712, June.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2006. "Learning your earning: are labor income shocks really very persistent?," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 145, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2005. "Learning Your Earning: Are Labor Income Shocks Really Very Persistent?," Macroeconomics 0507004, EconWPA.
- Meghir, Costas & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2002.
"Income Variance Dynamics and Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Marianthi Markatou, 1993. "Semiparametric Estimation Of Regression Models For Panel Data," Econometrics 9309001, EconWPA.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Jean-Marc Robin, 2008.
"Consistent noisy independent component analysis,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gianluca Violante & Greg Kaplan, 2008. "How Much Insurance in Bewley Models?," 2008 Meeting Papers 522, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hall, Robert E & Mishkin, Frederic S, 1982.
"The Sensitivity of Consumption to Transitory Income: Estimates from Panel Data on Households,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 461-81, March.
- Robert E. Hall & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1980. "The Sensitivity of Consumption to Transitory Income: Estimates from Panel Data on Households," NBER Working Papers 0505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geweke, John & Keane, Michael, 2007. "Smoothly mixing regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 252-290, May.
- Li, Tong & Vuong, Quang, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of the Measurement Error Model Using Multiple Indicators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 139-165, May.
- A. Delaigle & I. Gijbels, 2002. "Estimation of integrated squared density derivatives from a contaminated sample," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 869-886.
- Geweke, John & Keane, Michael, 2000. "An empirical analysis of earnings dynamics among men in the PSID: 1968-1989," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 293-356, June.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
- Gary CHAMBERLAIN & Keisuke HIRANO, 1999. "Predictive Distributions based on Longitudinal Earnings Data," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 55-56, pages 211-242.
- Peter Hall & Qiwei Yao, 2003. "Inference in components of variance models with low replication," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 17701, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Schennach, Susanne M., 2004. "Nonparametric Regression In The Presence Of Measurement Error," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1046-1093, December.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004. "Estimation of Nonlinear Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 33-75, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:03/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Seavers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.