Financial integration and growth correlation in Sub-Saharan Africa
This paper studies the relationship between financial integration and the correlation of GDP growth in sub-Saharan African countries. The dynamic nature of financial integration is first emphasized in order to account for both effects of risk sharing on the one hand and intermediation margins and bank rates of return on the other hand. In addition to considering simple variables of growth correlation, we exploit the multiple dimensions of business cycle synchronization first by allowing for asymmetric dynamics during expansion and recession, and by further acknowledging the importance of de-synchronized fluctuations to allow for the costs and benefits of financial integration for an individual country. Our main results are threefold. First, it seems that the financial integration variables are not informative about the likelihood of observing co-movements between the recession phases (after controlling for different variables influencing the business cycle). Secondly, our estimates portray a situation in which both risk-sharing and the convergence of price-based indicators lead to economic specialization rather than to a convergence of the expansion phases. Thirdly, the price-based indicators provide better information than risk-sharing variables to account for business cycle synchronization.
|Date of creation:||2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2009.
"Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 18(2), pages 287-318, March.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2008. "Trade intensity and business cycle synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00325718, HAL.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2009. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00368586, HAL.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2010. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00465440, HAL.
- Sampawende Jules Tapsoba, 2010. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print halshs-00523582, HAL.
- Fabrizio Carmignani, 2010. "Endogenous Optimal Currency Areas: the Case of the Central African Economic and Monetary Community," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(1), pages 25-51, January.
- Fabrizio Carmignani, 2009. "Endogenous optimal currency areas: The case of the Central African Economic and Monetary Community," Discussion Papers Series 390, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Suman Basu & Ran Bi & Prakash Kannan, 2010. "Regional reserve pooling arrangements," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Ran Bi & Prakash Kannan & Suman Sambha Basu, 2010. "Regional Reserve Pooling Arrangements," 2010 Meeting Papers 675, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Iyabo Masha & Leighton S Harris & Jian-Ye Wang & Kazuko Shirono, 2007. "The Common Monetary Area in Southern Africa; Shocks, Adjustment, and Policy Challenges," IMF Working Papers 07/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Simeon Coleman, 2011. "Investigating Business Cycle Synchronization in West Africa," Working Papers 2011/01, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Thorsten Beck & Samuel Munzele Maimbo & Issa Faye & Thouraya Triki, 2011. "Financing Africa : Through the Crisis and Beyond," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2355, April.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Munzele Maimbo, S. & Faye, I. & Triki, T., 2011. "Financing Africa : Through the crisis and beyond," Other publications TiSEM 334b6bd2-a7a6-47d5-be82-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Leo Frey & Ulrich Volz, 2013. "Regional Financial Integration In Sub-Saharan Africa – An Empirical Examination Of Its Effects On Financial Market Development," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(1), pages 79-117, 03.
- Frey, Leo & Volz, Ulrich, 2011. "Regional Financial Integration in Sub-Saharan Africa - An Empirical Examination of its Effects on Financial Market Development," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 29, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Winford H. Masanjala & Chris Papageorgiou, 2008. "Rough and lonely road to prosperity: a reexamination of the sources of growth in Africa using Bayesian model averaging," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 671-682.
- Houssa, Romain, 2008. "Monetary union in West Africa and asymmetric shocks: A dynamic structural factor model approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 319-347, February.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Development and Comp Systems 0409063, EconWPA.
- Mafusire Albert & Brixiova Zuzana, 2013. "Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 261-280, July.
- Albert Mafusire & Zuzana Brixiova, 2012. "Macroeconomic Shock Synchronization in the East African Community," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1031, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bry_71-1, Enero-Jun.
- Sy, Amadou N. R., 2007. "Financial Integration in the West African Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 19, pages 91-103.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved, 1998. "International risk sharing and European monetary unification," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 211-238, August.
- Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification," Working Papers 1996-30, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Sorensen, B-E & Yosha, O, 1996. "International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification," Papers 40-96, Tel Aviv.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2010. "Banking Efficiency and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 10/136, International Monetary Fund.
- Bent E. Sï¿½rensen & Oved Yosha, 1998. "International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 327, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Brennan, M. J. & Solnik, B., 1989. "International risk sharing and capital mobility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 359-373, September.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Foreword to "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs"," NBER Chapters,in: Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs, pages -1 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Danninger & Irina Tytell & Ravi Balakrishnan & Selim Elekdag, 2009. "The Transmission of Financial Stress from Advanced to Emerging Economies," IMF Working Papers 09/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Charalambos G Tsangarides, 2012. "Determinants of Growth Spells; Is Africa Different?," IMF Working Papers 12/227, International Monetary Fund.
- Calixte Ahokpossi, 2013. "Determinants of Bank Interest Margins in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 13/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Hector Sala & Pedro Trivín, 2014. "Openness, Investment and Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 23(2), pages 257-289.
- Narayan K. Kishor & John Ssozi, 2011. "Business Cycle Synchronization in the Proposed East African Monetary Union: An Unobserved Component Approach," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 664-675, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.