Credit Cycles, Credit Risk and Countercyclical Loan Provisions
In this paper we investigate the impact of rapid credit growth on ex ante credit risk. We present micro-econometric evidence of the positive relationship between rapid credit growth and deterioration in lending portfolios: Loans granted during boom periods have higher probability of default than those granted during periods of slow credit growth. In addition, given their importance for macroprudential policy, we evaluate the effectiveness of the implementation of the countercyclical loan provisions. We find a negative relationship between the amplitude of credit cycles and this kind of macroprudential tool.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Semi-sótano|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Christensen & Ali Dib, 2008. "The Financial Accelerator in an Estimated New Keynesian Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 155-178, January.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," Working papers 95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Delis, Manthos D & Kouretas, Georgios, 2010.
"Interest rates and bank risk-taking,"
20132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martha López & Juan David Prada & Norberto Rodríguez, 2009.
"Evidence for a Financial Accelerator in a Small Open Economy,and Implications for Monetary Policy,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 27(60), pages 12-45, December.
- Martha López & Juan David Prada & Norberto Rodríguez, 2009. "Evidence For A Financial Accelerator In A Small Open Economy, And Implications For Monetary Policy," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 27(60), pages 12-45, Diciembre.
- Mark A. Carlson & Hui Shan & Missaka Warusawitharana, 2011.
"Capital ratios and bank lending: a matched bank approach,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carlson, Mark & Shan, Hui & Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2013. "Capital ratios and bank lending: A matched bank approach," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 663-687.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2009.
"Bank risk and monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
1075, European Central Bank.
- Piti Disyatat, 2011.
"The Bank Lending Channel Revisited,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(4), pages 711-734, 06.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, .
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2009. "Monetary policy and the risk-taking channel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012.
"The Risk-taking Channel in Colombia Revisited,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 30(68), pages 276-295, June.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012. "The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009313, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012. "The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited," Borradores de Economia 690, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Lucy White & Alan D. Morrison, 2002.
"Crises and Capital Requirements in Banking,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2002fe05, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "Why Bank Credit Policies Fluctuate: A Theory and Some Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 399-441.
- Nada Mora & Andrew Logan, 2012.
"Shocks to bank capital: evidence from UK banks at home and away,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1103-1119, March.
- Mora, Nada & Logan, Andrew, 2010. "Shocks to bank capital: evidence from UK banks at home and away," Bank of England working papers 387, Bank of England.
- David Aikman & Andrew G. Haldane & Benjamin D. Nelson, 2015. "Curbing the Credit Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 125(585), pages 1072-1109, 06.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jesús Saurina, 2006. "Credit Cycles, Credit Risk, and Prudential Regulation," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(2), May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:788. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.