Evidence for a Financial Accelerator in a Small Open Economy,and Implications for Monetary Policy
Using Bayesian estimation techniques, we estimatea small open economy dynamic stochastic generalequilibrium model with credit-market imperfectionsfor the Colombian economy. We show thatthe combination of balance sheet effects and thechoice of monetary policy regime are likely to playan important role in the magnification and propagationof initial shocks to the Colombian economy.As an application we show that our model explainsthe 1998-1999 crisis in Colombia, when a sharp risein spreads on a relatively small proportion of internationaldebt were passed strongly onto domesticlending rates, provoking a severe recession.
Volume (Year): 27 (2009)
Issue (Month): 60 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anonymous, 0. "Economic Development And Aid," Increasing Understanding of Public Problems and Policies, Farm Foundation.
- repec:tep:teppwp:wp1215 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anonymous, 0. "Economic Growth Through Regional Associations," Increasing Understanding of Public Problems and Policies, Farm Foundation.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"Monetary policy and asset price volatility,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 77-128.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1999. "Monetary policy and asset price volatility," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 17-51.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Monetary Policy and Asset Price Volatility," NBER Working Papers 7559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N/A, 2002. "Documents," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 3(2), pages 336-337, September.
- N/A, 2002. "Documents," South Asian Survey, , vol. 9(2), pages 287-304, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)