The Risk-taking Channel in Colombia Revisited
Levels of interest rates below historical norms may have enhanced financial instability in both developed and in developing economies during the 2000´s. The risk-taking channel of monetary transmission policy is a recent theory that explains theinteraction between risk perceptions of the financial system and monetary policy. This paper presents empirical evidence of the risk-taking channel of monetary policy using detailed information on consumer and commercial loans from the Colombianbanking system. Using probit and duration models, we find that the banking system takes on more risk when the level of interest rates are too low. We also find that the response to interest rates is higher in the case of commercial loans.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2010.
"Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007667, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2011. "Estimations of the Natural Rate of Interest in Colombia," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 33-75, January-J.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, . "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 626, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003.
"Money in a Theory of Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
10070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2011.
"The Risk-Taking Channel and Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Martha López P. & Fernando Tenjo G. & Héctor Zárate Solano, . "The Risk-Taking Channel and Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 616, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José‐Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2014.
"Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What Do Twenty‐Three Million Bank Loans Say About the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk‐Taking?,"
Econometric Society, vol. 82(2), pages 463-505, 03.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2009. "Hazardous times for monetary policy: What do twenty-three million bank loans say about the effects of monetary policy on credit risk-taking?," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0833, Banco de Espa�a.
- Piti Disyatat, 2010.
"The bank lending channel revisited,"
BIS Working Papers
297, Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200931s is not listed on IDEAS
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2009. "Monetary policy and the risk-taking channel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:010344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.