The Risk-Taking Channel and Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Colombia
The recent financial crisis has brought to the forefront the need for a better understanding of the transmission mechanisms of monetary policy. The main step forward on this issue has drawn on work aimed at stressing the role of the financial sector in this transmission. Particular emphasis has been placed on how policy actions impact risk perceptions and attitudes of banks and other financial institutions,leading to shifts in the supply of credit. Along these lines, and based on evidence from Colombia,this paper finds a significant link between low interest rates and banks´ risk-taking based on evidence from Colombia. Lower interest rates raise the probability of default on new loans, but reduce that on outstanding loans. Furthermore, this channel of policy transmission depends on some bank, loan and borrower characteristics, as well as on macroeconomic conditions, such as the growth rate of the economy.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): 64 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques-Ibanez, 2010.
"Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?,"
BIS Working Papers
298, Bank for International Settlements.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2010. "Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?," Working Paper Series 1166, European Central Bank.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marques-Ibanez, David, 2010. "Bank risk and monetary policy," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 121-129, September.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2009. "Bank risk and monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1075, European Central Bank.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marquï¿½s-Ibï¿½ï¿½ez, 2009. "Bank risk and monetary policy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 712, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.