Bank Lending, Risk Taking, and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: New Evidence for Colombia
We study the existence of a monetary policy transmission mechanism through banks in Colombia, using monthly banks’ balance sheet data for the period 1996:4 – 2012:12. We obtain results which are consistent with the basic postulates of the bank lending channel (and the risk-taking channel) literature. The impact of short-term interest rates on the growth rate of loans is negative, indicating that increases in these rates lead to reductions in the growth rate of loans. This impact is stronger for consumer loans than for commercial loans. We find important heterogeneity in the monetary policy transmission across banks depending on banks-specific characteristics.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Semi-sótano|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam B. Ashcraft, 2001.
"New evidence on the lending channel,"
136, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Hanweck, Gerald A, 1988.
"Bank Insolvency Risk and the Market for Large Certificates of Deposit,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 203-11, May.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Gerald A. Hanweck, 1986. "Bank insolvency risk and the market for large certificates of deposit," Working Papers in Banking, Finance and Microeconomics 86-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992.
"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012.
"The Risk-taking Channel in Colombia Revisited,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 30(68), pages 276-295, June.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012. "The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009313, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha López & Fernando Tenjo & Héctor Zárate, 2012. "The Risk-Taking Channel in Colombia Revisited," Borradores de Economia 690, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Kishan, Ruby P. & Opiela, Timothy P., 2006. "Bank capital and loan asymmetry in the transmission of monetary policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 259-285, January.
- Ruby P. Kishan & Timothy P. Opiela, 2012. "Monetary Policy, Bank Lending, and the Risk‐Pricing Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(4), pages 573-602, 06.
- Piti Disyatat, 2011.
"The Bank Lending Channel Revisited,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(4), pages 711-734, 06.
- José Gómez González & Fernando Grosz, 2006.
"Evidence of Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002649, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- José Gómez-González & Fernando Grosz, 2007. "Evidence of a Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(129), pages 109-126.
- José Gómez González & Fernando Grosz, . "Evidence of Bank Lending Channel for Argentina and Colombia," Borradores de Economia 396, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?,"
NBER Working Papers
11728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has financial development made the world riskier?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "What Do a Million Banks Have to Say About the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 6056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José‐Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2014.
"Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What Do Twenty‐Three Million Bank Loans Say About the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk‐Taking?,"
Econometric Society, vol. 82(2), pages 463-505, 03.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2009. "Hazardous times for monetary policy: What do twenty-three million bank loans say about the effects of monetary policy on credit risk-taking?," Working Papers 0833, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
- Gómez-González, José Eduardo & Reyes, Nidia Ruth, 2011. "The number of banking relationships and the business cycle: New evidence from Colombia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 408-418, September.
- Michael Ehrmann & Andreas Worms, 2004. "Bank Networks and Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1148-1171, December.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2010.
"Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?,"
Working Paper Series
1166, European Central Bank.
- Gunji, Hiroshi & Yuan, Yuan, 2010. "Bank profitability and the bank lending channel: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 129-141, April.
- Jayaratne, Jith & Morgan, Donald P, 2000. "Capital Market Frictions and Deposit Constraints at Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 74-92, February.
- Sean Becketti & Charles S. Morris, 1992. "Are bank loans still special?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 71-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.