The Net Stable Funding Ratio and banksï¿½ participation in monetary policy operations: some evidence for the euro area
Based on a review of the analytical underpinnings of the effects of the NSFR on banksï¿½ choices, this paper attempts to relate banksï¿½ strategies to developments in the value of the ratio in the euro area. In spite of a not-so-near implementation date, the evidence is that the NSFR already matters for banksï¿½ choices, and it might be more relevant as a decision variable than alternative leverage indicators. As part of a convergence process towards the 100 per cent threshold, we estimate that the ECBï¿½s 3-year LTROs have raised the available stable funding by ï¿½429 billion as of June 2012 for the sample banks with a shortfall and that the NSFR may affect loans to the economy. In view of the phasing-in of the Basel III liquidity standards, the evidence suggests that, when evaluating non-standard monetary policy measures, central banks should also take into account their impact on the fulfilment of the NSFR and the possible cliff effects related to their expiration.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cï¿½rdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011.
"Basel III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
87, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlček, 2015. "Basel III: Long-term Impact on Economic Performance and Fluctuations," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 83(2), pages 217-251, 03.
- Angelini, P. & Clerc, L. & Cúrdia, V. & Gambacorta, L. & Gerali, A. & Locarno, A. & Motto, R. & Roeger, W. & Van den Heuvel, S. & Vlcek, J., 2011. "BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Working papers 323, Banque de France.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "BASEL III: long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Staff Reports 485, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," BIS Working Papers 338, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gaston Giordana & Ingmar Schumacher, 2011. "The Impact of the Basel III Liquidity Regulations on the Bank Lending Channel: A Luxembourg case study," BCL working papers 61, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Hess, Kurt & Wanzenried, Gabrielle, 2014. "The good and bad news about the new liquidity rules of Basel III in Western European countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 13-25.
- Patrick Slovik & Boris Cournède, 2011. "Macroeconomic Impact of Basel III," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 844, OECD Publishing.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013.
"Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis,"
33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013. "Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Pablo Federico & Francisco F. VÃ¡zquez, 2012. "Bank Funding Structures and Risk; Evidence From the Global Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 12/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Darracq Pariès, Matthieu & De Santis, Roberto A., 2013. "A non-standard monetary policy shock: the ECB’s 3-year LTROs and the shift in credit supply," Working Paper Series 1508, European Central Bank.
- Emanuel Kopp & Christian Ragacs & Stefan W. Schmitz, 2010. "The Economic Impact of Measures Aimed at Strengthening Bank Resilience – Estimates for Austria," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 20, pages 86-114.
- Morten Bech & Todd Keister, 2012. "On the liquidity coverage ratio and monetary policy implementation," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_195_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.