The recent trends in long-term bank funding
We assess the long-term funding conditions for banks in the US, the euro area and the UK and, separately, for the group of global systemically important financial institutions (G-SIFIs), over the period 1997-2011. After the outbreak of the subprime crisis there was a considerable reshuffling of the relative weight of banksï¿½ funding sources, also due to non-conventional monetary policy interventions, government support measures and a significant increase in wholesale funding costs. By looking at 6,400 bank bonds we find that both implicit and explicit guarantees by the sovereign have a substantial role in shaping the wholesale cost of bond issuance with significant differences between AAA-rated and lower-rated countries. However, when a bank CDS exists the role of the government is significantly reduced with the market giving more weight to the soundness and creditworthiness of the issuing institution.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates,"
Introductory Chapters,in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The Second Great Contraction," MPRA Paper 21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aviram Levy & Andrea Zaghini, 2010. "The pricing of government-guaranteed bank bonds," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 753, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Giuseppe Grande & Aviram Levy & Fabio Panetta & Andrea Zaghini, 2012. "Public Guarantees on Bank Bonds: Effectiveness and Distortions," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2011(2), pages 47-72.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 48.
- Fabio Panetta & Thomas Faeh & Giuseppe Grande & Corrinne Ho & Michael King & Aviram Levy & Federico M. Signoretti & Marco Taboga & Andrea Zaghini, 2009. "An assessment of financial sector rescue programmes," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 47, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Aviram Levy & Sebastian Schich, 2010. "The Design of Government Guarantees for Bank Bonds: Lessons from the Recent Financial Crisis," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 35-66.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Schulz, Alexander & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010. "Banking and Sovereign Risk in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Schulz, Alexander & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010. "Banking and sovereign risk in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ejsing, Jacob & Lemke, Wolfgang, 2011. "The Janus-headed salvation: Sovereign and bank credit risk premia during 2008-2009," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 28-31, January.
- Stolz, Stéphanie Marie & Wedow, Michael, 2010. "Extraordinary measures in extraordinary times: Public measures in support of the financial sector in the EU and the United States," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Stolz, Stéphanie Marie & Wedow, Michael, 2010. "Extraordinary measures in extraordinary times – Public measures in support of the financial sector in the EU and the United States," Occasional Paper Series 117, European Central Bank.
- Ashoka Mody, 2009. "From Bear Stearns to Anglo Irish; How Eurozone Sovereign Spreads Related to Financial Sector Vulnerability," IMF Working Papers 09/108, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)