The cost of firmsï¿½ debt financing and the global financial crisis
We provide an assessment of the determinants of the risk premium paid by non-financial corporations on long-term bonds. By looking at 5,500 issues in the period 2005-2012, we find that the turbulence in the sovereign debt market has been a major driver of corporate risk in recent years. Compared with 2005-07, the three years preceding the global financial crisis, in 2010-12 Italian, Spanish and Portuguese firms paid an additional premium of between 70 and 120 basis points on average due to the negative spillovers from the sovereign debt crisis, while German firms received a discount of 40 basis points.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000.
"How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 155-89.
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000. "HOw Do Firms Choose Their Leaders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt8sd393sj, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Miguel Cantillo and Julian Wright., 2000. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-256-Rev, University of California at Berkeley.
- Miguel Cantillo & Julian Wright, 1998. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Finance 9803007, EconWPA.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Schulz, Alexander & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010.
"Banking and sovereign risk in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Mann, Steven C. & Mihov, Vassil & Rodríguez, Mauricio, 2009. "Interest rate changes and the timing of debt issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 600-608, April.
- Joost Driessen, 2005. "Is Default Event Risk Priced in Corporate Bonds?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 165-195.
- Giuseppe Grande & Aviram Levy & Fabio Panetta & Andrea Zaghini, 2011. "Public Guarantees on Bank Bonds: Effectiveness and Distortions," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2011(2), pages 47-72.
- Sironi, Andrea, 2003.
" Testing for Market Discipline in the European Banking Industry: Evidence from Subordinated Debt Issues,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 443-72, June.
- Andrea Sironi, 2000. "Testing for market discipline in the European banking industry: evidence from subordinated debt issues," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Denis, David J. & Mihov, Vassil T., 2003. "The choice among bank debt, non-bank private debt, and public debt: evidence from new corporate borrowings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Sebastian Schich & Sofia Lindh, 2012. "Implicit guarantees for bank debt: where do we stand?," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2012(1), pages 45-63.
- Shi, Charles, 2003. "On the trade-off between the future benefits and riskiness of R&D: a bondholders' perspective," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 227-254, June.
- Blackwell, David W. & Kidwell, David S., 1988. "An investigation of cost differences between public sales and private placements of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-278, December.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_950_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.