The Costs of VAT: A Review of the Literature
This paper reviews the literature on the costs of VAT, beginning with a review of concepts with regard to different aspects of administrative and compliance costs and then a review of quantitative estimates of such costs. It concludes with a brief discussion of VAT non-compliance and fraud with special reference to European Union case.in the European VAT context, including some suggestive evidence on the trade-off between compliance costs and fraud.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Keen, 2007.
"VAT, Tariffs, and Withholding: Border Taxes and Informality in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
07/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael, 2008. "VAT, tariffs, and withholding: Border taxes and informality in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 1892-1906, October.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2005.
"The Collection Efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and International Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
11539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2008. "The collection efficiency of the Value Added Tax: Theory and international evidence," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 391-410.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2005. "The collection efficiency of the value added tax: theory and international evidence," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt42d103zh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- repec:bai:series:wp0023 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9781107401440 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward Christie & Mario Holzner, 2006. "What Explains Tax Evasion? An Empirical Assessment based on European Data," wiiw Working Papers 40, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- James, Simon & Edwards, Alison, 2010. "An annotated bibliography of tax compliance and tax compliance costs," MPRA Paper 26106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aureo de Paula & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2009.
"Value Added Taxes, Chain Effects and Informality,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
09-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Keen, Michael & Smith, Stephen, 2006.
"VAT Fraud and Evasion: What Do We Know and What Can Be Done?,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 59(4), pages 861-87, December.
- Stephen Smith & Michael Keen, 2007. "VAT Fraud and Evasion: What Do We Know, and What Can be Done?," IMF Working Papers 07/31, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521877657 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agha, Ali & Haughton, Jonathan, 1996. "Designing VAT Systems: Some Efficiency Considerations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 303-08, May.
- Finn R. FÃ¸rsund & Sverre A.C. Kittelsen & Frode Lindseth & Dag Fjeld Edvardsen, 2006. "The Tax Man Cometh - But is he Efficient?," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 197(1), pages 106-119, January.
- World Bank, 2010. "Integration of Revenue Administration : A Comparative Study of International Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13529, September.
- Cedric Sandford, 1981. "Book Review: Costs and Benefits of VAT," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 61-62, July.
- Hunter, William J & Nelson, Michael A, 1995. " Tax Enforcement: A Public Choice Perspective," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 82(1-2), pages 53-67, January.
- Christian von Soest, 2006. "Measuring the Capability to Raise Revenue Process and Output Dimensions and Their Application to the Zambia Revenue Authority," GIGA Working Paper Series 35, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Ernst Verwaal & Sijbren Cnossen, 2002. "Europe's New Border Taxes," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 309-330, 06.
- Bird, Richard M., 2010.
"Subnational taxation in developing countries : a review of the literature,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5450, The World Bank.
- Richard M. Bird, 2011. "Subnational Taxation In Developing Countries: A Review Of The Literature," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(01), pages 139-161.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Pritchett, Lant, 2011. "How business is done and the'doing business'indicators : the investment climate when firms have climate control," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5563, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.