Tax compliance costs: a business administration perspective
The paper analyses the relationship of tax compliance costs and business strategy. Due to instruments, like information technology, simplified cash accounting or outsourcing compliance activities to tax advisers, private businesses have a set of strategies to optimize their tax compliance cost burden. Under the assumption of rational choice a private business should choose a cost-optimal administration strategy. In spite of that we find empirical evidence for small German businesses using only insufficiently the support of external tax advisers. Therefore, a considerable number of small businesses in Germany could reduce their compliance cost burden by a higher degree of outsourcing tax processes. In contrast, we find no significant evidence for a cost reduction by an electronic data interchange with the tax and social insurance authorities or by a simplified cash accounting method for tax purposes.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)|
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tran-Nam, Binh & Evans, Chris & Walpole, Michael & Ritchie, Katherine, 2000. "Tax Compliance Costs: Research Methodology and Empirical Evidence from Australia," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 2), pages 229-52, June.
- Guyton, John L. & O'Hare, John F. & Stavrianos, Michael P. & Toder, Eric J., 2003. "Estimating the Compliance Cost of the U.S. Individual Income Tax," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 56(3), pages 673-88, September.
- Glaser, Markus & Weber, Martin, 2007.
"Why inexperienced investors do not learn: They do not know their past portfolio performance,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
07-70, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Glaser, Markus & Weber, Martin, 2007. "Why inexperienced investors do not learn: They do not know their past portfolio performance," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 203-216, December.
- Wojciech Kopczuk & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2005.
"Electronic Filing, Tax Preparers, and Participation in the Earned Income Tax Credit,"
NBER Working Papers
11768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kopczuk, Wojciech & Pop-Eleches, Cristian, 2007. "Electronic filing, tax preparers and participation in the Earned Income Tax Credit," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1351-1367, August.
- Mark M. Pitt & Joel Slemrod, 1988.
"The Compliance Cost of Itemizing Deductions: Evidence from Individual Tax Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
2526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pitt, Mark M & Slemrod, Joel, 1989. "The Compliance Cost of Itemizing Deductions: Evidence from Individual Tax Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1224-32, December.
- Philipp Köllinger & Maria Minniti & Christian Schade, 2005.
""I Think I Can, I Think I Can": Overconfidence and Entrepreneurial Behavior,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
501, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Koellinger, Philipp & Minniti, Maria & Schade, Christian, 2007. ""I think I can, I think I can": Overconfidence and entrepreneurial behavior," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 502-527, August.
- Knud Jørgen Munk, 2005.
"Tax-tariff reform with costs of tax administration,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-21, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Knud Munk, 2008. "Tax-tariff reform with costs of tax administration," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 15(6), pages 647-667, December.
- Knud Jorgen MUNK, . "Tax-Tariff Reform with Costs of Tax Administrations," EcoMod2004 330600102, EcoMod.
- Knud Jørgen Munk, 2006. "Tax-tariff reform with costs of tax administration," Economics Working Papers 2006-14, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Knud MUNK, . "Tax-Tariff Reform with costs of Tax Administration," Middle East and North Africa 330400045, EcoMod.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1996. "How Tax Complexity and Enforcement Affect the Equity and Efficiency of the Income Tax," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(1), pages 135-50, March.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Marsha Blumenthal & Joel Slemrod, 1995. "The compliance cost of taxing foreign-source income: Its magnitude, determinants, and policy implications," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 2(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Louis Kaplow, 1995. "How Tax Complexity and Enforcement Affect the Equity and Efficiency of The Income Tax," NBER Working Papers 5391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guyton, John L. & Korobow, Adam K. & Lee, Peter S. & Toder, Eric J., 2005. "The Effects of Tax Software and Paid Preparers on Compliance Costs," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 58(3), pages 439-48, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fubsbe:20093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.