Is the Completion of EU Single Market Hindered by VAT Evasion?
The planned movement to the origin principle with the cross-border pre-tax system on a full-scale would lead, ceteris paribus, to changes in VAT revenues in the individual EU countries. For instance, the member countries with trade surpluses and higher VAT rates would be significantly better off. For this reason, a clearing mechanism is necessary to rectify this type of revenue imbalance among the EU nations. The introduction of the Single Market in 1993 appears to have further encouraged firms’ and households’ evasive behaviour in paying VAT in the EU. In order to estimate its relevance, this study quantifies the annual amount of hypothetical VAT revenues for the individual countries on the basis of the national accounts data. The relation between the calculated hypothetical and the (current) collected revenues in a fiscal year largely determines the extent of VAT evasion of a country when the time-lag problem between the creation of tax liability and the VAT collection in cash terms can be adjusted. The macroeconomic clearing is supposed to take place based on the share of hypothetical revenues of the member countries. Consequently, such a system seriously suffers from the adverse incentives for the individual nations since countries with a lower evasion ratio than the weighted average of all EU countries would lose the VAT revenues, whereas those with a higher evasion ratio would gain.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang Woon Nam & Rüdiger Parsche & Barbara Schaden, 2001. "Measurement of Value Added Tax Evasion in Selected EU Countries on the Basis of National Accounts Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 431, CESifo Group Munich.
- Contini, Bruno B, 1981. "Labor Market Segmentation and the Development of the Parallel Economy-The Italian Experience," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 401-12, November.
- Dominik H. Enste & Friedrich Schneider, 2000. "Shadow Economies: Size, Causes, and Consequences," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 77-114, March.
- Bernd Genser, 2002.
"Coordinating VATs Between EU Member States,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
648, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreoni, J. & Erard, B. & Feinstein, J., 1996.
9610, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2000.
"The Increase of the size of the shadow economy of 18 OECD countries: Some preliminary explanations,"
Economics working papers
2000-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2000. "The Increase of the Size of the Shadow Economy of 18 OECD Countries: Some Preliminary Explanations," CESifo Working Paper Series 306, CESifo Group Munich.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2005. "Overseas Holdings Of U.S.Currency And The Underground Economy," Macroeconomics 0501022, EconWPA.
- Andrea Gebauer & Chang Woon Nam & Rüdiger Parsche & Doina Radulescu & Bettina Reichl, 2002.
"Möglichkeiten und Risiken der Einführung eines grenzüberschreitenden Vorsteuerabzugs auf europäischer Ebene,"
Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 12, October.
- Andrea Gebauer & Doina Maria Radulescu, 2002. "Möglichkeiten und Risiken der Einführung eines grenzüberschreitenden Vorsteuerabzugs auf europäischer Ebene," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 55(19), pages 22-30, October.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kaliberda, Aleksander, 1996. "Integrating the unofficial economy into the dynamics of post-socialist economies : a framework of analysis and evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1691, The World Bank.
- Dieter Dziadkowski & Andrea Gebauer & W. Christian Lohse & Chang Woon Nam & Rüdiger Parsche, 2002. "Entwicklung des Umsatzsteueraufkommens und finanzielle Auswirkungen neuerer Modelle bei der Umsatzbesteuerung," ifo Forschungsberichte, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 13, October.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2000.
"Illegal activities, but still values added ones (?): size, causes, and measurement of the shadow economies all over the world,"
Economics working papers
2000-10, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2000. "Illegal Activities, but Still Value Added Ones (?): Size, Causes, and Measurement of the Shadow Economies all over the World," CESifo Working Paper Series 305, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frey, Bruno S & Pommerehne, Werner W, 1984. "The Hidden Economy: State and Prospects for Measurement," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 30(1), pages 1-23, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_974. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.