Balance Sheet and Currency Mismatch: Evidence for Peruvian Firms
In the Peruvian economy, as in other emerging economies, a significant portion of the debt held by firms is denominated in US dollars. While an exchange rate depreciation likely increases firm debt and influences plans of investment and production, literature finds weak or no evidence of this balance sheet effect. In this paper I argue that this effect is observed in firms with a significant currency mismatch. I estimate the currency mismatch (defined as assets minus liabilities in USD and expressed as a percentage of total assets in domestic currency) from which the exchange rate has negative effects on firms' investment. Using financial information from 74 non-financial Peruvian firms from 2002 to 2014, I find significant balance sheet effects for firms with a currency mismatch below -10.4 percent.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gondo, Rocio & Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011. "Dedollarization and financial robustness," Working Papers 2011-022, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Nicoletta Batini & Joseph Pearlman & Paul Levine, 2006.
"Optimal Exchange Rate Stabilization in a Dollarized Economy with Inflation Targets,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
148, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nicoletta Batini & Paul Levine & Joseph Pearlman, 2008. "Optimal Exchange Rate Stabilization in a Dollarized Economy with Inflation Targets," Working Papers 2008-004, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Carranza, Luis & Galdon-Sanchez, Jose E. & Gomez-Biscarri, Javier, 2009. "Exchange rate and inflation dynamics in dollarized economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 98-108, May.
- Luis Carranza & JosÃ© E. GaldÃ³n-SÃ¡nchez & Javier GÃ³mez Biscarri, 2004. "Exchange Rate and Inflation Dynamics in Dollarized Economies," Faculty Working Papers 10/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Carranza, Luis & Galdon-Sanchez, Jose E. & Gomez-Biscarri, Javier, 2011. "The relationship between investment and large exchange rate depreciations in dollarized economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1265-1279.
- Luis Carranza & JosÃ© Enrique GaldÃ³n SÃ¡nchez & Javier GÃ³mez Biscarri, 2008. "The relationship between investment and large exchange rate depreciations in dollarized economies," Faculty Working Papers 01/08, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001. "Currency crises and monetary policy in an economy with credit constraints," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1121-1150.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Working Papers 00.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Bacchetta, Philippe & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Scholarly Articles 4554218, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2529, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kevin Cowan & Erwin Hansen & Luis Oscar Herrera, 2005. "Currency Mismatches, Balance-Sheet Effects and Hedging in Chilean Non-Financial Corporations," Research Department Publications 4387, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kevin Cowan & Erwin Hansen & Luis Oscar Herrera, 2005. "Currency Mismatches, Balance Sheet Effects and Hedging in Chilean non-Financial Corporations," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 346, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carranza, Luis J. & Cayo, Juan M. & Galdon-Sanchez, Jose E., 2003. "Exchange rate volatility and economic performance in Peru: a firm level analysis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 472-496, December.
- Luis Carranza & Juan M. Cayo & JosÃ© E. GaldÃ³n-SÃ¡nchez, 2003. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Economic Performance in Peru: A Firm Level Analysis," Faculty Working Papers 12/03, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- César Carrera, 2016. "Identifying the exchange-rate balance sheet effect over firms," Working Papers 2016-66, Peruvian Economic Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apc:wpaper:2016-085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelson Ramírez-Rondán)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.