Can you do the wrong thing and still be right? Hypothesis Testing in I(2) and near-I(2) cointegrated VARs
We review the I(2) model in the perspective of its application to near-I(2) data, and report the results of some Monte Carlo simulations on the small sample performance of asymptotic tests on the long-run coefficients in both I(2) and near-I(2) systems. Our findings suggest that these tests suffer from some finite-sample issues, such as size bias. However, the behaviour of these statistics is not markedly different in the I(2) and near-I(2) case at ordinary sample sizes, so the usage of the I(2) model with near-I(2) data is perfectly defensible in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8, 60121 Ancona|
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina & Frydman, Roman & Goldberg, Michael, 2010. "Testing hypotheses in an I(2) model with piecewise linear trends. An analysis of the persistent long swings in the Dmk/$ rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 117-129, September.
- Paruolo, Paolo & Rahbek, Anders, 1999. "Weak exogeneity in I(2) VAR systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 281-308, December.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Heino Nielsen & Christopher Bowdler, 2006. "Inflation adjustment in the open economy: an I(2) analysis of UK prices," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 569-586, September.
- Heino Bohn Nielsen & Christopher Bowdler, 2003. "Inflation Adjustment in the Open Economy: An I(2) Analysis of UK Prices," Economics Papers 2003-W05, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Luca Fanelli & Emanuele Bacchiocchi, 2005. "Testing the purchasing power parity through I(2) cointegration techniques," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 749-770.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Takamitsu Kurita & Heino Bohn Nielsen & Anders Rahbek, 2011. "An I(2) cointegration model with piecewise linear trends," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(2), pages 131-155, 07.
- Hans Christian Kongsted, 2003. "An I(2) cointegration analysis of small-country import price determination," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 53-71, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)