Testing hypotheses in an I(2) model with piecewise linear trends. An analysis of the persistent long swings in the Dmk/$ rate
This paper discusses the I(2) model with breaks in the deterministic component and illustrates the model with an analysis of German and US prices, exchange rates, and interest rates in the period 1975-1999. It provides new results on the likelihood ratio test of overidentifying restrictions on the cointegrating relations when they contain piecewise linear trends. One important aim of the paper is to demonstrate that a structured I(2) analysis is useful for a better understanding of the empirical regularities underlying the persistent swings in nominal exchange rates, typical in periods of floating exchange rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roman Frydman & Michael D. Goldberg & Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 2009.
"A Resolution of the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle: Imperfect Knowledge and Long Swings,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-01, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Roman Frydman & Michael D. Goldberg & Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 2008. "A Resolution of the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle: Imperfect Knowledge and Long Swings," Discussion Papers 08-31, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Luca Fanelli & Emanuele Bacchiocchi, 2005. "Testing the purchasing power parity through I(2) cointegration techniques," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 749-770.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
- Nielsen, Heino Bohn & Rahbek, Anders, 2007. "The Likelihood Ratio Test For Cointegration Ranks In The I(2) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 615-637, August.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1995. "Do purchasing power parity and uncovered interest rate parity hold in the long run? An example of likelihood inference in a multivariate time-series model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 211-240, September.
- Paruolo, Paolo, 1997.
"Asymptotic Inference on the Moving Average Impact Matrix in Cointegrated 1(1) VAR Systems,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 79-118, February.
- Paruolo, Paolo, 2002. "Asymptotic Inference On The Moving Average Impact Matrix In Cointegrated I (2) Var Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 673-690, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 2006. "Statistical analysis of hypotheses on the cointegrating relations in the I(2) model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 81-115, May.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
46, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Lane, Philip R., 2001.
"The new open economy macroeconomics: a survey,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 235-266, August.
- Paruolo, Paolo & Rahbek, Anders, 1999. "Weak exogeneity in I(2) VAR systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 281-308, December.
- L. Sarno & M. P. Taylor, 2003. "An empirical investigation of asset price bubbles in Latin American emerging financial markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 635-643.
- Franchi, Massimo & Jusélius, Katarina, 2007.
"Taking a DSGE Model to the Data Meaningfully,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 1, pages 1-38.
- Boswijk, H. Peter, 2000. "Mixed Normality And Ancillarity In I(2) Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 878-904, December.
- Frydman Roman & Goldberg Michael D., 2008. "Macroeconomic Theory for a World of Imperfect Knowledge," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-78, December.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2005. "Testing the nominal-to-real transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 205-225, February.
- Hans Christian Kongsted & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2004. "Analysing I(2) Systems by Transformed Vector Autoregressions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 379-397, 07.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- Clara Jørgensen & Hans Christian Kongsted & Anders Rahbek, 1996.
"Trend-Stationarity in the I(2) Cointegration Model,"
96-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rahbek, Anders & Christian Kongsted, Hans & Jorgensen, Clara, 1999. "Trend stationarity in the I(2) cointegration model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 265-289, June.
- Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2004. "Cointegration analysis in the presence of outliers," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 249-271, 06.
- Hans Christian Kongsted, 2003. "An I(2) cointegration analysis of small-country import price determination," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 53-71, 06.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Paruolo, Paolo, 2000. "Asymptotic Efficiency Of The Two Stage Estimator In I (2) Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 524-550, August.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679.
- Johansen, Søren, 1992. "A Representation of Vector Autoregressive Processes Integrated of Order 2," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 188-202, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:158:y:2010:i:1:p:117-129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.