Spatial Structure and Productivity in Italian NUTS-3 Regions
This work is an investigation of how spatial structure affects labour productivity in Italian provinces. The analysis draws on agglomeration theories, and analyzes whether agglomeration benefits are dependent on the way activities are spatially organized within regions. Urban spatial structures have declined in terms of size, dispersion and polycentricity. Using instrumental variables and spatial econometric techniques, we assess the effects of spatial structure for the 103 Italian NUTS-3 regions. The findings include negative impacts of both polycentricity and dispersion and a positive impact of size.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Kahn, Matthew E., 2004.
"Sprawl and urban growth,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 56, pages 2481-2527
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew E. Kahn, 2003. "Sprawl and Urban Growth," NBER Working Papers 9733, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew E. Kahn, 2003. "Sprawl and Urban Growth," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2004, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2005.
"Population Growth in European Cities - Weather Matters, but only Nationally,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p12, European Regional Science Association.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2006. "Population growth in European cities: Weather matters - but only nationally," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 23-37.
- Paul Cheshire & Stefano Magrini, 2005. "Population Growth in European Cities: weather matters – but only nationally," Urban/Regional 0506009, EconWPA.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew E. Kahn, 2001.
"Decentralized Employment and the Transformation of the American City,"
NBER Working Papers
8117, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew E. Kahn, 2001. "Decentralized Employment and the Transformation of the American City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1912, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Carlo Pietrobelli, 1998. "The Socio-Economic Foundations Of Competitiveness: An Econometric Analysis of Italian Industrial Districts," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 139-155.
- Michael Storper & Anthony J. Venables, 2003.
"Buzz: Face-to-Face Contact and the Urban Economy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0598, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Antonio Ciccone, 1998.
"Agglomeration-effects in Europe,"
Economics Working Papers
499, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1999.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Bumsoo LEE & Peter GORDON, 2011. "Urban Structure: Its Role In Urban Growth, Net New Business Formation And Industrial Churn," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 33, pages 137-159.
- Martijn Burger & Evert Meijers, 2012. "Form Follows Function? Linking Morphological and Functional Polycentricity," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 49(5), pages 1127-1149, April.
- Malanima, Paolo, 2005. "Urbanisation and the Italian economy during the last millennium," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 97-122, April.
- Bumsoo Lee, 2007. ""Edge" Or "Edgeless" Cities? Urban Spatial Structure In U.S. Metropolitan Areas, 1980 To 2000," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 479-515.
- Henderson, J V, 1974.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 640-56, September.
- Rafael Boix & Joan Trullén, 2007.
"Knowledge, networks of cities and growth in regional urban systems,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(4), pages 551-574, November.
- Joan Trullén & Rafael Boix, 2005. "Knowledge, networks of cities and growth in regional urban systems," Working Papers wpdea0504, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Meijers, E.J. & Burger, M.J., 2009.
"Spatial Structure and Productivity in U.S. Metropolitan Areas,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2009-057-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Evert J Meijers & Martijn J Burger, 2010. "Spatial structure and productivity in US metropolitan areas," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(6), pages 1383-1402, June.
- Antonio G. Calafati, 2009. "Macro-Regions, Local Systems and Cities: Conceptualisation of Territory in Italy since 1950," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 8(3), pages 11-34.
- Daan P. van Soest & Shelby Gerking & Frank G. van Oort, 2006. "Spatial Impacts Of Agglomeration Externalities," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 881-899.
- Cirilli Andrea & Veneri Paolo, 2011. "Understanding the Determinants of Urban Growth: A Study on the Major Italian Cities," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 477-506.
- Belal N. Fallah & Mark D. Partridge & M. Rose Olfert, 2011. "Urban sprawl and productivity: Evidence from US metropolitan areas," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 451-472, 08.
- Gilles Duranton, 2007. "Urban Evolutions: The Fast, the Slow, and the Still," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 197-221, March.
- J B Parr, 1979. "Regional Economic Change and Regional Spatial Structure: Some Interrelationships," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 11(7), pages 825-837, July.
- Daniel J. Graham & Patricia S. Melo & Piyapong Jiwattanakulpaisarn & Robert B. Noland, 2010. "Testing For Causality Between Productivity And Agglomeration Economies," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(5), pages 935-951, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.